G-400 review by Epiphone

Epiphone: G-400

My music style is alternative rock: Switchfoot, Relient K, Skillet, Phoenix, and Parachute. This guitar fits pretty much any genre with the exception of classical and country. it sounds beautiful through pretty much any amp. It sounds great out of my Line 6 Spider III Exceptional!

In my oppinion, it's a great guitar for a stay at home player, or a beginner, but not good for a touring or gigging because of possible failure. What I expected was something close to Gibson but lesser quality, and that's what I got Overall impression: Fairly good.

Will this guitar withstand live playing, probably not. Does the hardware seem like it will last, that's neither her nor there. Are the strap buttons solid, yes, they are quite solid. Would you use it on a gig without a backup, no. Fairly durable can withstand minor scratches and can stay in alternate tunings for long periods of time (I kept in drop Bb for a week and barely had to tweak it).

The guitar is not factory set up, so I had to get someone to do it for me, wich cost me an extra $50. The finish is great but after a while the fingerprints show, and they're almost impossible to clean. The G string goes out of tune all the time and has to be adjusted after every play.

At first sight the Chinese made Epiphone SG G-400 is as beautiful as any Gibson, but as you get a closer look the similarities are few. The signature SG shape is slightly out of proportion and the pickups also sound a lot different than the signate Gibson. The guitar itself came with no accessories and I had to buy a hardshell case for an extra $150.

dementiacaptain
    sound wise i think there is little to no difference between the g400 and the epi sg special, minus the pickup covers. you can buy those for the sg special though.