G-400 review by Epiphone

• Reviewer's score: 6.6 Neat
Epiphone: G-400

Purchased from: Private Seller

The first thing I noticed when playing this, it's incredibly trebly. Which is great if you're playing Slash or other classic rock, but for clean its a bit of a disappointment. That may just be personal preference but when I play clean I like clear bass notes and good tone, not trebly with no sustain. Fortunately, I've never noticed any unwanted noise, with or without distortion. Due to the treble, which I think is partly due to how the guitar is weighted as your strumming arm ends up close to the bridge, it doesn't have a great range so you are kind of limited. However, the decent length neck means its a lot easier to play solos and for whatever reason you can bend the strings really easily, even with thick strings.

For my style this guitar isn't really what I tend to use. It's very trebly and a pain to use for rhythm as there's no real sustain and very low volume unless you add LOADS of distortion and play really hard. I bought it cause I've always wanted an SG, but it wasn't really all I'd hoped for. Honestly, I probably wouldn't bother replacing it other than for show. Besides, my girlfriend hates it :P

I've only gigged it a few times, used for about 3 months after I got it before I got my Custom Strat. It held up pretty well, the finish kept quite clean and didn't scratch much either. The hardware is all pretty sound, fortunately the strap buttons are solid as they're in an awkward place, they could quite easily come off it they weren't any good. A 20 strap helps too :P

The action was a bit dodgy as one side of the bridge was at rock bottom while the other was about 10mm off the neck... It didn't take long to sort out but it wasn't a great first impression. The pickups were in the right place and at a good height so that made it a bit better. There are no flaws in the finish or anything other than what I've acidentally put there myself, and there aren't many. It seems like the finish is pretty thin so it doesn't take much to chip it, you just gotta be careful with it.

Made in 2004 somewhere in China, this has done pretty well. 22 frets on a mahogany fret board into a thin, nicely finished body. The tune-o-matic bridge is classic, it's always a good with humbuckers, gives a nice tight tone and keeps it in tune while your bending and stuff. A volume and tone for each pickup as well as the typical 3 way switch. The tuners are the kind of colour that looks like they're glow in the dark, I was kind of disappointed when I found out that they don't...