G-400 review by Epiphone

Epiphone: G-400

A lot of people tend to knock the stock pickups on these guitars but I think they sound just fine. If you adjust them properly, they'll sound nice and clear whether you're playing clean or distorted. I'm using this through a Zoom John 5 effects processor and a Fender Frontman 65R combo and I'm thoroughly pleased with the way this guitar sounds. IMO, the Chinese have upped their game at the Epiphone plant and are putting out some great product today that is much better than some of the crap that is coming out of Gibson USA.

I play 80's Metal and Classic Rock and ever since I got this, my USA Strat has been pushed to the side. I traded my 2006 MIM Strat for this and a Vox VT-15 amp which is also a great surprise as well. This guitar is definately a keeper and if anything ever happened to it I would go out and buy another one, seeing that they're only $300.00 brand new. They're one of Epiphone's best kept secrets and are much better than Gibson's faded series.

I baby all of my equipment, so durability should not be a problem here. I'm sure I could use this at a gig without a backup. I used to have a G-400 Standard a few years ago that I gigged with a few times and that guitar never gave me any problems. It's true that SG's are neck heavy but if you hold onto the neck, you won't have to worry about it falling and breaking on you. I do like the finish, which gives off a retro look and plus it saves me money on guitar polish. LOL!

The previous owner obviously didn't take care of this, so I had to tighten up the tuners, reset the intonation and adjust the truss rod a bit, along with adjusting the pickup height as well. Once I did all of that, it was as if I'd just recieved a brand new guitar and performed like one as well. I do like the Epiphone locktite tailpiece system, which helps maintain tuning stability and the Grover tuners are great as well. The neck on this is very fast IMO. I'm having a blast with this guitar and I can't put it down.

Mine is a 2009 G-400 Faded series in the Cherry Red finish, which I just got yesterday in a trade. Features include Grover tuners, Alnico Humbucker Classic Pickups, 22 Frets, Mahoghany body and Neck with a rosewood fretboard. Epiphone's Lock tite tailpiece system w/ tune o matic style bridge. 3 way pickup Switch and 2 sets of volume and tone controls. The body style is the Devil horn SG style which the late, Great, Les Paul hated.