G-400 review by Epiphone

Epiphone: G-400

Purchased from: Local music store

This guitar is ballsy. You get a lot of raw punch from it- a lot more than Les Paul standards. It has a sharper, more aggressive sound than LPs. It's great for Hard rock and metal as Angus Young and Tony Iommi have clearly realised with their gibsons. When you dial the tone back it is a lot less abusive but it's the power of the SG that I love and drove me to buy this over other epiphones. However, some people may fault it on the basis that it doesn't have as rich a sound as LPs and sounds a little thinner- an unbiased sound ranking is needed (personally, I'd get it a 10 but objectively...)

I play everything from hard rock to thrash metal depending on what bands I'm into at the time- usually hair metal ;) It suits most genres and has some tasty sounds haha. Obviously some people will try to argue that LPs are better although I'd say this SG is far better than a similarly priced LP- it's lighter in weight, has a more powerful sound and looks cooler. If something happened to my SG I'd definitely replace it- it's a great guitar, especially for the price! The only thing I could ask for with it is a whammy bar, but most guitars that this will be compared to don't feature whammy bars so I'll not knock it for that. To wrap up, it's an awesome guitar and well worth the money.

This guitar was my main for ages- i prefer it to the gibsons! It has lasted perfectly for 3 years- no damage whatsoever to it. I have gigged with solely this guitar and haven't regretted it once, another perfect score.

I honestly cannot fault it here. Pickups were perfect, action is nice and low, the tuning pegs are very good, I could go on listing the good things but I'll just leave it by saying it's faultless in this department.

It was made in Korea, 2007. Neck and body are mahogany, it comes with stock Epiphone alnico 2 passive humbuckers, tune-o-matic bridge, two tone, two volume knobs and a three way selector switch. It's obviously an SG body- based on the early Gibson ones (1962 SG Standard I believe). Grover tuners which keep it in tune really well and it's in a blood red custom finish- I love it.