G-400 review by Epiphone

Epiphone: G-400

Purchased from: private

I have no style to be honest bedroom rocker, and play whatever I have the tabs or chords for. I got several amps and I unashamedly play through toneport gearbox that has every type of effect and sometimes through an old Preavy 15W amp bought in a junk shop for 10$ and a Boss effects pedal. Compared to by Epiphone Les Paul Standard its as good meets my expectations as a learner home player I wont pretend I can hear the difference between a Gibson SG and a Epi SG I can tell the difference in price.

Style of music I try all sorts this seems great for jazz blues to rock but I am no expert and a hobbyist not a musician. Been playing about 3 years self taught from the internet lessons play along to backing tracks no time to join a band. Own a epi Les Paul Standard, Fender squire strat. Used to own a Epiphone Les Paul Special II. If it was stolen I would replace it for sure. I don't understand the argument regarding Korea, USA, China made Epi's or do not have a trained ear to hear the difference, They all go back to Epiphone factory and are checked Epiphone/Gibson have a reputation to uphold and carry out strict QS checks there made with the same materials glues wood etc and production guidelines. Compared to my Les Paul its not as good sound wise and I prefer the LP style trimming etc. As a guitar its solid, well made not to heavy has a fabulous range of tones and terrific value for money and the bottom line it is made by a Gibson owned company. I would have no hesitation in recommending this guitar to beginners or intermediate level, advanced players I am not qualified to comment on. Note: The first time buyer should take note of this guitar has 22 frets if you want to learn/play solos etc the 22nd fret is an important issue several brands are only 21.

No idea had it about 1 week. I don't gig can't really comment. Will it last time will tell I suspect it will looks very well made. I sold my LP Special II that I had for 7 years only thing I ever chanced were the strings and sold it for 10% less than I bought it new, after advertising for a day in the local web page had 8 offers to buy the first guy bought it, it sounds as good as the day I bought it if not better reliability and durability value retention can't fault. Score based on my Epiphone experience not the this SG.

The set up was really good action set to my liking funny thing it had not been played for 6 months and it was still only slightly out of tune. Hong Kong weather humidity moving them from air-con rooms to another effects any instruments tuning my friends top of the line PRS goes out of tune exactly the same. Finish is fabulous got to give it a 10 this guitar is so well made. The toggle Switch was a bit patchy I think because it had been left for a while clicking it back and forwards a few times sorted it out, contact cleaner would probably help improve the connections.

2008 made in china usual Epiphone specs faded cherry. Was a sweet deal someone bought it a year ago new with a ibenez amp tuner padded guitar bag and extra amp cable wanted to learn, played it about 6 times sat in the backroom for a year, decided guitar was not for him sold it. So deducting the cost of the amp tuner bag etc the guitar cost about 50 bucks that's had less play than a show room version. I'm rating this a 9 as I love the shape and the finish is fabulous.

FearOfTheDuck
    Edodee wrote: @fearoftheduck No man, you're just bashing. This G-400 is worth all the bucks. I have a few guitars and one of them is an '06 G-400 I bought new. It plays very comfortable, sounds great and it's very well made...at least mine is. The only downside is that it's neckheavy but that's common thing with all SG's. If you don't want that than you're better of getting something else. But at the end of the day, this G-400 is the best SG '61/ '62 copy on the market.
    I suppose, its great for Punk and Hardcore. I've come to love it again in recent times.
    L2112Lif
    As skeptical as I am about Epiphone SG's, I prefer them to that stupid Stripped or Raw line that Gibson has out.. They sound TERRIBLE and have pockets and roughness in their necks. I'd prefer a higher end SG, probably still Epi...
    DrZaiu5
    I got one of these, pretty awesome except no matter what strings I use the G string always goes out of tune.
    Mr Chrstopher
    Bought this and thought it wasn't bad 6/10. Sold it and bought a Gibson SG Special - no comparison. Seriously. People that say there's not much difference have either never owned a Gibson SG or are just trying to make you feel better . It's a good guitar by all means, but if you can spare the cash you WILL NOT regret stepping up to the real deal.