G-400 review by Epiphone

Epiphone: G-400

Purchased from: Hermes Music

I play lots of different styles. At my music school I play Jazz, Blues and Funk. With my band I play rock, metal (with all its subgenres), funk, punk, ska, rock/pop and our own songs. And sometimes I jam with friends, we play mainly Indie, BritPop, Post-Punk, Grunge and Alternative stuff. It gets some good tones for blues on clean and with good old distortion. It gets perfect tones for classic metal (think on Zeppelin, Sabbath, etc). It doesn`t carry enough power for death core stuff, but it gets incredibly well with Overdrive, it sounds as if I were Angus Young, especially when using the JCM900, which actually isn`t mine, it is my drummer`s. Funk, Punk and all the other stuff I play aren`t for this guitar. I prefer my Strat or my Epi Dot for that stuff.

It is a good addition to my collection. I have almost six years since I started playing, and I had a limited amount of money for guitars when I bought it, so, yes, I bought a cheap one. But it is surely a good move, for empty pockets, if you know how to adjust it. Stolen, lost, or broken, I would go for another Strat or a Tele, as they`re better. But it is good for people who are intermediate players.

It will withstand live playing. Hardware will last a lot. Strap buttons are the more solid you will ever find in a guitar that doesn`t include straplocks. I use it on gigs but always carry a backup as sometimes strings get broken (strangely, it always happens when playing AC/DC) and I like switching guitars during live performances. Finish is made up of acrilic paint, so it won`t wear off with age. I like that, as this particular guitar doesn`t look good aged, unlike Strats, that look better with age and flaws.

Action was set up from the factory perfectly. Bridge pickup was set up very low, but a screwdriver fixed that easily. No flaws, even though I bought a model which was used for trying it. Finish is quite good. Cheap wood and no good warranty, so I recommend trying it before buying it at the store, so you know that the one you`re buying hasn`t got flaws or bad pickups.

The box and instructions say it has been made in Korea, however, there`s a sticker behind the headstock that says it is from Taiwan. 22 medium jumbo frets pressed into a Rosewood fretboard. Alder body and arm, mine`s got a nice rare Vintage white color. The body is of course a double cutaway SG body. It has a tune-o-matic bridge. 2 open-coil humbuckers which have a fairly good sound and can get on very well with distortion. 2 Volume and 2 Tone pots, one for each pickup. Tuners are Epiphone, not Grover, and so they get a bit out of tune more easily than Grovers. It only includes an Allen key for the neck adjustment and a 3 ft cable that`s only for trying it at stores, and will get broken really soon.

rock-fantom
    bought it a few years ago, wasn't bad, but no comparison to the Gibson SG Standard i use now
    rock-fantom
    Mr Chrstopher wrote: Bought this and thought it wasn't bad 6/10. Sold it and bought a Gibson SG Special - no comparison. Seriously. People that say there's not much difference have either never owned a Gibson SG or are just trying to make you feel better . It's a good guitar by all means, but if you can spare the cash you WILL NOT regret stepping up to the real deal.
    agree
    LesPaulMB
    L2112Lif wrote: As skeptical as I am about Epiphone SG's, I prefer them to that stupid Stripped or Raw line that Gibson has out.. They sound TERRIBLE and have pockets and roughness in their necks. I'd prefer a higher end SG, probably still Epi...
    Today, most Gibsons have chambered bodies. The roughness in the necks is something personal, I'd prefer it above a 'normal' Gibson neck. I have a Gibson Les Paul BFG and imo it sounds better than a Studio... But those Epi G-400 are nice. I've had a korean and a chinese one. I'd prefer the korean Epi, pickups just sounded better. Both instruments, however, didn't get out of tune often.
    AliMustaine
    marvelboy_04 wrote: my friend gpt one of these new from guitarcenter for 300$ nice guitar.
    Really?'
    Offworld92
    PlayFreebirdNow
    rv_phoenix
    PlayFreebirdNow wrote: Offworld92 wrote: This guitar is garbage - I have no idea why it's rated so high. The one I used to have, as well as everyone I know who's owned one has had similar complaints of unlevel frets, shit electronics, shit sustain, shoddy hardware, everything about it did not fit the bill of a $300 guitar. Any Ibanez in the same price range destroys this guitar. I agree. My friend has this guitar and my Ibanez in the same price range blows it anyway. So does my Schecter in this price range. This guitar is awful.
    I guess you just don't know how to play. Both Ibanez and Schecter, despite being excellent makes, are suitable for a completely different kind of music than G400. Designed 50 years ago, G400 is just not good for something heavier than classsic heavy metal. Anything that goes above AC/DC or Black Sabbath should be played on another guitar. But neither Ibanez, nor Schecter can beat this guitar in Classic Rock, Rockabilly, even Blues. Its sustain is miles away from Ibanez or Schecter, its razor-sharp response or its chunky clean chords is second to none. So, you can say it's a limited guitar (it was Les Paul's opinion when reviewing this guitar, which was supposed to bear his name as a replacement for the poorly selling LP), but I very much doubt that a 400 euros Ibanez or Schecter can compete with it on its own ground. (Should I mention that I DON'T own one?)
    leleva
    I bought my G400 second hand off ebay and it is a factory 2nd and I've never had a problem with it, one of the best guitars I own