G-400 review by Epiphone

Epiphone: G-400

Purchased from: Blue Note Guitars

I play mostly classic rock, hard rock, blues, and some metal. For the price this guitar sounds pretty good. I can get very good clean sounds and pretty decent distorted sounds. If you want to play metal or jazz this is not the guitar for you. It can do most of the tones in between those. If you put too much distortion behind it it will get a bit sloppy. The sustain isn't bad for the pickups in this. It has a good variety of sounds. If this is your first guitar, you will be very pleased with the sounds you get out of it.

This guitar has a few flaws but gets the job done for sure. Since I am now a more experienced player (unlike when I bought this) I wouldn't buy it again if it were stolen. This is a great guitar for a beginner or somebody who doesn't have a lot of money to spend for a great electric. This is the guitar for you if you don't play heavy metal.

I don't/wouldn't gig with this. Strap buttons, pickups, knobs, and pickup selector all work well and were put together nicely. Nothing wrong with those for a while. The input jack though always comes loose and I have to keep screwing it back on. Gets very annoying. Comes out of tune a little too often to make it not a big deal. Finish looks good and even with me bumping it around none has chipped off.

When I got this from the store one of the tuners were a bit loose and same with the input jack. Other than that, when I bought it from the store everything was nice. Like all SGs it is very comfortable playing on the high frets.

Before you read all this, I am judging the guitar based on how much I paid for it. The point of these are not to compare $300 guitars with $10,000 guitars. -Double-cutaway solid mahogany body -Set mahogany neck -Slim-tapered neck profile -24-3/4" scale length -Rosewood fingerboard -1.68" nut width -22 jumbo frets -Dual Alnico V humbuckers -2 volume and 2 tone controls -3-way pickup selector -Pearloid trapezoid inlays -LockTone Tune-O-Matic Bridge and stopbar tailpiece -Chrome hardware