G-400 review by Epiphone

Epiphone: G-400

Sounds great for heavier stuff but can deal very well with my rhythmic and picking styles, quite versatile besides its heavy rock appearence, I generally play Oasis and Beatles-esque music and deals quite well with this and sounds just fine acoustically as well. I use a 15W Frontman Fender amp, works just fine for whatever I need, but is a bit of a cheap set up. Sound is quite well rounded and doesnt't buzz at all, the guy who owned this previously set this up perfectly so can't comment on factory settings. Sounds brilliant for beginner or intermediate players, if your a bit more advanced, maybe want to look at a Les Paul or Stratocaster for a bit more sound I guess.

Love it, looks great, sounds great and will keep playing this for a long time! If I lost this somehow, I think I would keep playing my Acoustic guitar for a while and maybe move up to a Les Paul or something, as the neck heavyness of this is a bit of an issue which I cannot beleive hasn't been addressed yet, its a real pain to hold up sometimes, but I'm not thinking of getting rid of this anytime soon, its my baby, I named her Lillith and changed the trussrod cover to suit this! Really high quality for the price paid and decimates the same price competition and all other SG immiators, best on the market besides the real deal Gibsons, go get this!

Would withstand gigging no problem, brilliant all rounder guitar and handles really well, although your going to need a good comfy strap, this thing is neck heavy and will head right for the floor if you arnt carefull! Everything is stuck on properly and feels really well made and sturdy. Only knocks to the finish are my own fault but still look great!

Brilliant action, can't complain one bit and I can slide and play all day, the frets are rounded (with age maybe) and look great, everything is robust and can deal with falls, altough the body has a few dings from it fallng off a wall hanger I set up but survived and ready to play again. Finish is great, nice and think without looking bad, honestly brilliant, dark red colouring with the grain of the wood visible, looks great. No complains and handles beautifully.

I bought this used for a total bargain, comes from Epiphone's plant in Korea as far as I can tell from the stickers on the back on the headstock, is a you model so from the East somewhere. Pretty big neck, around 24 frets I beleive and very wide, very good for my playing style, contrasts well with Strat necks so is a great option for bigger hands. The body is solid mahogany I beleive, all real wood and the best SG you can get besides Gibsons own. The finish is the deep red version, very impressed with this, hasn't faded at all and looks the real deal. The body style, is of course that of an SG, very good and similar to the Gibson counterparts. The electronics use duel pick ups and I think this is tune o matic but may be corrected on this later on. Has a handy three way Switch between treble, rhythm and normal, great for mid guitar session switches between sounds. The tuners are great, came with grovers, I think this is a Standard for newer models buy am not 100% on this, they are pretty heavy but a real good quality and a joy to use, tuning is very easy. Four way volume control, 2 volume and 2 Tone dials. The guy I got this from threw in a gig bag.

Tyler.Allain
    I am pretty sure most of these people completely got ripped off. I paid $200 for my Vintage G-400 and $380 for a used Gibson Faded. Most of these people paid well above both of these prices.
    Daysleeper_05
    good entry level guitar. I bought it when I knew nothing about guitars; I just liked the way it looked. Four years later, I have no regrets or complaints. One suggestion though: put heavy strings on it. It will enrich you.
    DrCOOL
    I've got one of these in white. I have to say IMO it's just as good as the gibson counterpart. Fast neck, fat sound overall an extremely solid guitar. I love mine.
    NOKIADO3220
    Fuckin' awesome! That's my guitar and I swear that I wouldnt change it for anything!
    PhillyHendrix
    I have an SG G400 that I've been trying to sell for about ever. It's not that there's anything wrong with it, I just wanted to sell it for some money. I already have two other guitars that I play far more often, and on top of that, I'm primarily a bass player. Anyway though, it is a great guitar,
    normaljeans
    Great guitar! And a note on the action; I believe these guitars come stock with the action set kind of high..personally i like it!
    OlBlindMan
    While I myself do not own an SG, or a G400, i have never been overly impressed with this model/style. A close friend of mine purchased a Gibson SG back in the early 70's, and never used it for anything more than a backup..his main axe was a '59 ES 335...and there was no comparison to sound, action, feel, etc. Whatever guitar you like...you like. My opinion is that this model/style is rather limited in sound...but thats just my opinion.!
    Imptheshrimp
    I don't know if this has been said before, as I didn't make it too far through the comments, and I don't know if anyone will even care when they read this but whatever. The key matter is with this kind of guitar (which is also often the case with other 'cheaper' guitars) is that EVERY INDIVIDUAL GUITAR PRODUCED IS DIFFERENT. I went to a store, tried one out and it was awful. Terrible neck, terrible tuners, godforsaken bridge, the whole thing was garbage. Two weeks later I went back and tried the same model, but it was a different guitar and it was absolutely fine. Would've bought it right there if I had the money. I recommend that if you buy this guitar, you buy it retail and DEFINITELY try out the exact one before hand. In general, not the best guitar but rather versatile and pretty solid overall. If you read all of that, I appreciate it. You are admirably patient.