G-400 review by Epiphone

• Reviewer's score: 6.8 Neat
Epiphone: G-400

Purchased from: Matchetts

The sound is perfect for what I play, I play rock songs. I use a Line 6 Spider IV 75 watt amp. It has a slightly brighter sound than I les paul, it isn't as rich sounding as a Les Paul though. There is a wide variety of tones, from a thick lead tone, to a thinner, brighter rock tone.

I play rock/alternative rock and it seems to suit this style. I have been playing the G400 for 7 months, and playing the guitar for around 5 years. I wish I had asked about build quality. I would get something else, I want to try as many guitars as possible, I like trying different tones. I love the neck and the action, hate the build quality and my favourite feature would have to be the wide variety of tones you can get. I didn't compare other products because I was set on getting an SG. I wish it had higher quality hardware.

I have only played live with it once and it seemed pretty solid. The hardware will not last, it will need to be replaced, from the bridge, tuners and output jack. The strap buttons are solid but I suggest using strap locks as the guitar is very neck heavy. The guitar is already needing replaced after having it for 7 months, the internals are not soldered or put together very well, the Bridge pickup has already failed on me. The finish seems good enough to last.

The guitars intonation was poorly set up, but the action is fast with very little fret buzz. The pickups seemed good, but I'm no expert on these things. The guitar seemed flawless when I bought it.

- 2010, China - Double-cutaway solid mahogany body - Set mahogany neck - Slim-tapered neck profile - 24-3/4" scale length - Rosewood fingerboard - 1.68" nut width - 22 jumbo frets - Dual Alnico V humbuckers - 2 volume and 2 tone controls - 3-way pickup selector - Pearloid trapezoid inlays - LockTone Tune-O-Matic Bridge and stopbar tailpiece add more sustain and easier string changing - Chrome hardware