G-400 review by Epiphone

Epiphone: G-400

Price paid: € 325

Purchased from: Klangfarbe - Austria

The Guitar suits all my music styles (Blues, Classic Rock, Hard Rock, Metal). I'm using a "Fender Mustang I" modulation amp and a "Kustom" Stack, my Fender Amp has all effects I need so I haven't got any others. The guitar itself isn't noisy at all, ther's just a noise produced by the distortion of the amp, which is normal. It has a very rich sound, but not as much sustain that a Les Paul has. The guitar sounds great distorted or overdriven for both pickups, but clean the Bridge pickup produces a kind of rattling bright sound which doesn't sound that great, the neck pickup (clean) has a warm sound.

I bought this guitar to try the advantages of an SG shaped guitar, I like the possibility to reach the 22th fret so easy. I've been playing guitar for 9 years with Strat-, Explorer- and Les Paul shaped guitars, now the SG is a irreplaceable part of my gear. If it were stolen I would buy it again, even if I have other guitars that are a bit better (and more expensive) but this one fits my style perfectly.

The guitar withstands live playing, I use it at live gigs, it seems to be very durable. The strap buttons are solid, but I prefer strap locks. I would not need any backup, but I take 2 or 3 other guitars with me to get a large range of sustain and effects (floyd rose). The cherry finish seems to last a long time, I have it for 1 1/2 years and there no marks of playing on it (and I have an agressive playing style).

The guitar was well set-up when I bought it, I just changed some settings on the TOM bridge. The Pickups vere well adjusted (I changed them in the following week to Gibson Burstbuckers). The overall guitar quality is great, there were no frets popping out or something like that. Just the controls were a bit loose, but I fixed it in less than 5 min.

- 2010 China - 22 frets (scale: 24,75") - Rosewood fretboard w/ trapezoid inlays - Body and Neck: Mahogany - SG-style (double cutaway) - Tune-O-Matic Bridge (Epiphone) - Passive Epiphone Pickups - Alnico Classic (Changed them to passive Gibson Pickups) - Volume and Tone for Bridge PU, Volume and Tone for Neck PU - 3-Way Toggle - Non-locking "Grover" Tuners - No Accessories