G-400 review by Epiphone

Epiphone: G-400

Purchased from: Professional Music Technology

I've been playing for a couple years; I play classic/modern rock, blues, and occasionally a little punk, and the guitar sounds great with all of them. Although it's meant to be a budget version of an SG, it doesn't sound budget at all. I play it through an old Vox AD30 combo amp, and the sound is awesomely versatile; I can get a nice full bluesy tone with the treble pickup, and a crunchier riffing tone with the volume turned up on the rhythm. It is a little noisy at high volume, but I suspect this may have more to do with my ancient amp than the guitar itself. You can get so many sounds and styles out of this guitar, its unbelievable. Solos, cleans, harmonics, slides, power chords and melodic guitar, it does it all. Definitely the best sounds in this price range, by quite a way too.

My overall impressions of this guitar are good. Although it doesn't compare to a 1500 1962 Gibson SG, it isn't meant to. It's meant to provide those on a limited budget with a cheap good quality guitar, and that's what it does.

This guitar can easily withstand bedroom practice, jamming with a band, or probably even small gigs, but I wouldn't take it to anything bigger than a slightly crowded bar gig. I'd probably use something a little bigger and more robust, although, that said, its an extremely well put together little guitar. The hardware feels like it'll last for ages. The finish seems a little thin, but other than that, good marks here.

The guitar was reasonably well set-up, the pickups and frets were all good, decent strings, although the action was a little high for my liking, but that was easily remedied with the Tune-O-Matic bridge. The body is made from a beautiful piece of wood, its either one piece of wood or two that have been perfectly bookmatched. The finish is a curious shade, kind of halfway between cherry and light red. I probably would have gone for the glossy cherry over this finish, but it was over 40 more just for some shiny paintjob, so I chose the cheaper one. Its also available in matte black, ebony, and some weird Orange korina colour. There were no flaws with the guitar at all, and I must say I was quite impressed with it. It's lots-of quality for not-so-much money.

This guitar was made sometime in 2011, probably in some far-eastern country by overworked orphans, but it doesn't show in the quality. 22 frets, with a decent-sized rosewood fretboard, smooth mahogany neck and body, finished in a nice worn cherry. It has a Tune-O-Matic bridge, twin humbuckers, and volume/tone knobs for each. One complaint - the screws on the bridge are rubbish, I adjusted the bridge a little and completely mashed the screws. Otherwise, all good here.

atomic667
    Why do people hate on Americans so ****ing much? Who gives a shit where your from. This is a guitar site. You should all be hating on peoples shitty playing, not their location.