G-400 Custom review by Epiphone

Epiphone: G-400 Custom

Purchased from: GAK.co.uk

This guitar suits basically every style of music I have tried. Great sound with even my crappy Marshall MG15CD and Behringer multi effects. Have got clean tones, awesome slash- like tone and fuzzy hard Muse tone, sound great for all. This guitar sounds so much better than my old Strat and I love the mellow tone. I look foreward to playing it with acoustic effects like when I play knocking on heavens door: it sounds awesome.

I seem to have been quite critical in this review but don't let me put anyone off. I have been playing for 2 years and am good for my time, I love my SG and everyone Who sees it thinks it's worth the rrp of 470 you don't have to tell them you got it for less. The problems I have mentioned are probably unique to my guitar and do not affect my playing. I think for value for money this is very hard to beat as it sounds far better then some of the Gibson counterparts, a great step up from a beginners guitar and for a better player as well. Have to mention the super easy reach and smoothness of the fret board. If I lost it I might buy it again but would probably by a Les Paul for a change, I wish it had a better made lead slot but that's just me. A great guitar.

I think the G400 Custom will easily withstand Live playing, as long as you treat it with respect. Haven't tried yet but wouldn't take a backup, wouldn't feel the need. The strap buttons are solid and I don't think it's ever come close to coming off. The finish seems lie it's going to last a long time and I would depend on this great guitar.

I love the super low action on my SG, the pickups were fine and all the cuts were good. Have broken several high E strings, so possibly a badly filed slot but hasn't happened recently. Beautiful finish and looks amazing in the flesh, the Humbucker finish may fade with time and dirt does show up clearly on the guitar, however it's looks make up for that. The slot where the lead goes (not sure what it's called sorry) has broken several times, tried sticking it but didn't help, just means you have to unscrew the back to do it back up.

A copy of the Les Paul/SG Custom of the '60s. It says Les Paul on the headstock as it is copied from the time when SG's were Les Pauls, super low action I personally love it. Has a tendency to slope as the headstock is heavy but you get used to this. It has 22 frets and great tone with the 3 classic 57 Humbuckers. I didn't get anything else with the guitar.

fdrstrat
    If it's not been clear enough, with the pick-up selector controls you have the "treble" position which activates the bridge and middle pick-ups, the middle position which activates all pick-ups, and the "rhythym" position which activates the neck and middle pick-ups. The beauty of the controls on this guitar is you can use the volume knobs to cut out the middle (or any other) pick-up to create any combination of pick-ups.
    ThunderKiss65
    i have this guitar, and my mate prefers it to his les paul. played through the right amp and wow. an amazing guitar.
    guitarwhiz234
    Man i just bought this guitar , it really does kick alot of ass , thank you epiphone for affordable guitars you mske them great
    mdavolio33
    i have the black one with ghs boomers and it sounds mean, its so good for all types of music very versitile
    Ali-b912
    the les paul and the SG arent meant to compete. the SG is meant to be lighter and more modern while the les paul was the heavy one which had a better tone and a classic look. i think part of the idea between the SG and the les paul is that the SG is like the flashy fancy lead guitar, while the les paul is like a rythm guitar. yes i know the sg was a modded les paul originally. is there any way you can reduce the neck heaviness on these? i want to get one but i played my brothers G400 standard and it was a bitch to hold in comparison to my ibanez.