G-400 Custom review by Epiphone

Epiphone: G-400 Custom

Purchased from: Sound Control

The cleans on this guitar are amazing, giving a rich texture whichever pickup is selected, and for any work which cleans are needed, I'll definately keep using this guitar. However, the three pickup configuration seems to deliver a muddy, dampened sound when distorted or overdriven. So if you play hard rock or metal, I would probably recommend the Standard G400 over this. Also for detuning into -for example- Drop C or B this guitar isnt ideal as the tuning seems fine on open strings against the tuner, but sounds horribly out of tune once I start playing (and no, it's not just bad playing, honest).

I play mostly hardcore/metal and if im honest, this guitar doesnt really suit it. However, anything which requires lots of cleans or Standard tuning work, this guitar is ideal for. I often use it for things such as Coheed & Cambria or similar styles, as it suits this perfectly. If this were stolen or lost id probably get something a little more versatile which could handle dropped tunings and distortion a little better. However, i wouldnt sell this guitar purely because the cleans are unlike any other guitar ive tried, and that includes Gibson SG's.

I gigged this G400 Custom for a year without any technical issues and without a backup, and while i dont use it anymore after buying a guitar which suits my sound better, im confident the guitar could last years without any problems and i still keep it as a backup i know i can rely on. The only durability issue is that after a few months the gold coating on the pickups begins to flake off to reveal the silver underneath, however, this is purely cosmetic, and shouldnt deter anyone from buying it.

The guitar came to me in just about perfect finish. Aside from tuning up a couple of strings the fit & finish could only be described as flawless, and it was most certainly a case of plug in and play straight out of the box. After two years I still haven't encountered any fitting problems and the finish remains perfect, other than scratches from dropping it at gigs.

I bought this guitar about two years ago as a replacement for my old Squire Strat, and initially thought it was great. The guitar has a 3-way pickup selector and the Standard 4 volume / tone knobs that come with most sg/les paul guitars. There are 3 pickups on this model, which played a big part in luring me to buy it over the Standard G400, as did the gold finish on all hardware such as tuners, pick-ups and the bridge. The only thing that put me off this was the cream paintwork, but I knew that this was purely a small matter, and could be changed in the future.

luke-bassist
    i think these r really gd guitars but does it sometimes get annoying with 3 pickups cus its almost certain that every guitarist likes to go a bit mental on a guitar now and then and so wouldn't the pickups sometimes get in the way?