G-400 Custom review by Epiphone

Epiphone: G-400 Custom

The guitar tends to suit any style I wish to play. If I want to play rock stuff, metal etc it gives out a clear sound, even through a cheap amp. If I want to play acoustic, the sound is very good. The pickups give out a great distorted sound. It suits most volumes, I have yet to blast it at full volume. May not be a sound issue, but I find it harder to harmonic on this guitar.

Nothing says rock than an SG and this is no exception. I love standing up and just jamming to any piece of music with this guitar. It looks great and it feels great to do it. I've been playing about a year and 7 months, but from what I hear, I'm very advanced for my playing time. I have a cheap amp with distortion and a clean Peavey RAGE-158 that I don't use that often. Before I bought the product, I wish I had asked for a manual on the guitar, so I didn't have to research all this myself. If this guitar was stolen or lost, and I had the money to buy a new one, I wouldn't replace it exactly, but get another SG in red. Cream and gold is a brilliant colour to look at, but red guitars are where it's at. I love the body of the guitar. I've always liked the SG style guitar even before I was interested in guitars and noticed a difference. I would have preferred a Gibson SG as people are slightly let-down when they see it's an Epiphone, but I still think it performs as well. Two things I dislike about the guitar are the strings distance from the fretboard, it's an average distance but I prefer the strings closer. Also, I dislike the strap placement, but it's what you get when you buy an SG. When picking out a new guitar a few months ago, I had the choice of an X-plorer or this one. Maybe I would have picked the X-plorer because I think they're amazing guitars but there wasn't the colour in that I wanted, so I went ahead and got the SG. I don't so much regret it, but I'd like to have had a play around with the X-plorer beforehand. I wish it had 24 frets.

I've never played Live with it, but I do often take it out of the house, take it to school, play for people. There have been many cases where I'm stuck in a confined room with 15 people and a bassist whilst playing, and apart from it falling over once or twice and banging the head numerous times, it has maintained reliability. Still works fine from the day I got it around 4 months ago. Seems like I could use this guitar for many years to come. Strap buttons are on it well, but they don't suit my playing style. Having a Fender previously, I've been used to just letting the guitar rest nicely facing up, but since the SG is a very top-heavy guitar, it will tilt often and have been some cases where the guitar will fall out of the strap. I've caught it every time but I fear I'll break it one day if action isn't taken. I'd would be able to depend upon the guitar in a gig and be happy for it to be my only instrument. The finish itself looks spotless apart from the occasional bit of dust that comes off with a bit of cleaning. There's still not a scratch on it and to be fair, I'm not a careful player, I do drag my pick across the body often.

Guitar was set-up exceedingly well, which made a change from my last guitar which was extremely poorly constructed. Neck is aligned well with the body, made out of a two-piece. I would like a bit more leeway with the middle pickup, as it can get in the way of playing. Also, the knobs turn at a wonky angle. It's not a problem that effects playing, but it is something that I dislike about it.

My Epiphone G-400 was "hand-crafted" in China. It has 22 frets with a solid-top. In the picture above it's shown as white, although mine is a lot more creamy. 3 Golden Humbuckers. 3-Way controls, 3 volume knobs and a tone knob. Non-locking tuners, which is my only real issue with this guitar. It tends to lose tuning by a few tones every bend or so. Neck is mahogany with squared-frets. Overall, my only issue is the non-locking tuners, which can be a nuisance.

JessicaGonzo
    i have one just like the picture and i love it. the neck is a little fat but i still love it.
    nicktheawesome
    Carr2120
    i liek mine but i find its too liek low ( liek a blues feeling to it )
    Roven31
    I got this guitar for my birthday and I'm loving it. I've only been playing for a month and this guitar is just awesome. It sounds great, and it's so fun to play. Overall, a great and beautiful guitar!
    JessicaGonzo
    nicktheawesome wrote: Im pretty sure that it only comes in this colour. I bought one and I didn't really have a choice of colour. Maybe in another part of the world, but not in southwestern ontario.
    it comes in black, off white and white w/ tremelo
    .QOTSA.
    I've got this guitar, I used it in the recordings on my profile if anyone wants to hear what it sounds like. I would recomend this guitar, but not for more than a years use really. The neck on mine is starting to warp, and its always felt a bit cheap and flimsy on the neck. The gold plating has turned silver on the majority of the hardware too. Good guitar, but not one to keep for life, a bad investment really. But hey the price just went up online, so mines going on ebay sooner or later!
    Lithium717
    This guitar will be in my hands tomorrow. I'm so excited. Tell me, is the finish more cream or white? I'm kind of worried about it if it's creamy, but looking at Hendrix gives me hope
    pete_190290
    I use this as my backup guitar, with a Gibson Les Paul Black Beauty as my front runner. It's an awesome guitar specially through my line6 spider II. At first i was apprehensive of the 3 buck setup (cos i got it before my black beauty), but you can do so much with the tone and sound of the guitar it's unreal. Sounds great through a dunlop wah peddal . HOWEVER the tuning pegs are abit sh*te. Mine need tightening back up, but it has been gigged god knows how many times since i got it so it's probably overdue a service.
    lespaul4life95
    i can get a new sg custom for 268 or the black beauty for 488 is the beauty worth the extra 220