G-400 Custom review by Epiphone

Epiphone: G-400 Custom

Price paid: C$ 445

Purchased from: Long and McQuade

I play everything from bluegrass to blues to hard rock and this guitar can cover ALL the styles. I've recorded bluegrass with it and it doesn't muddy the sound like some guitars do with all the chord changes. I play blues with this also and the bass tones are just fantastic, the middle pickup gives so much more flexibility and so many different sounds this guitar is the one of the best clean guitars I've ever played and compares with mid-range fenders. For the blues I can easily play rhythm and lead on both clean and distortion channels. For hard rock I usually just will play the bridge pickup only when playing anything distorted. Unfortunately I find if you play the middle and bridge/rhythm while in overdrive it gets a little muddy. Other wise I find this guitar great and for the extra 100$ and the variety you get with it is just awesome. I use a Marshall amp and there is no noise at all. It's got a fantastic full sound.

This is a good match for the music I play. I've been playing for about 6 years. I would probably replace this guitar if it were stolen but a Fender would be competing. I love the third pickup and think that its a great guitar for the money.

Dropped and banged this guitar a number of times but hasn't dented the finish, doesn't even have a scratch on it. The hardware's finish is total crap. I hate to say it but it came off the pickups when I took the plastic off them and the bridge and tail piece are starting to go. The tuners are still okay. Strap buttons are pretty good, they only bailed out once and that was with a leather strap. It seems like it'll last a long time.

The guitar was really well set up out of the box. All the pickups were good and all the hard ware and things seemed good. There were no flaws as far as I could tell. The only problem I had was the 1/4 inch jack fell through a couple weeks after I got it but just had to tighten the bolt.

22 frets with a pretty fat neck. Not quite as fat as a Gibson but bigger than a Fender and a rosewood fretboard. A mahogany body and cream finish. A classic SG style body just like the regular G-400. A tune-o-matic bridge and I think active electronics. 3-way selector with 3 volume (one for each pickup) and one tone. Classic Epiphone humbucker pickups with alnico II magnets. Grover tuners and it comes with a 1/4 inch cable.

UraniYum
    panic!!! wrote: im thinking of getting this guitar or the epiphone g-400 custom or even a jackson rx10d as a "backup" to my les paul ultra. any suggestions? i play all types of music from jazz to metal and all the guitars feel equally as awesome but im leaning more towards the strat. if anyone can help me id really appreciate it! thanks!
    This is the G-400 Custom... If you're a jazz-influenced metaller, Jackson's a safer bet. If you like jazz and metal seperate, then it's between the Epi and the Fender. I actually have a MIM Strat, but a SSS one. And it really won't do metal, without properly high end amplification. Jazz i'm unsure about, but most jazz guitarists i've seen use old ES-335s, and other vintage Gibbos. Epi, definately.
    UraniYum
    I really don't follow all the haters here, what's not to like? I own a high end guitar, and i'm still sorely tempted by one of these. I'm not tempted by any Squiers, that's for damn sure. If only all starter guitars were Epis.
    Choicekeptflu
    I am thinking about buying this guitar but can't decide between this or an Epiphone Les Paul standard. It could also be any Les Paul for under 500 dollars. I have played both guitars and liked them equally. I play a lot of Hardcore/Metal but am also looking for versatility. Please help thanks.