G-400 Custom review by Epiphone

Epiphone: G-400 Custom

Purchased from: Local Music Store

The guitar definately suits my style of music ranging to some jazz, country, rockabilly, blues, and classic rock. Basicly anything from the late 50s to 80s. I'm using my guitar with the newly released Fender Mustang III amp, so I can virtually get any sound to my liking. Anyway, I really love the clean tones I get, partically from the neck pickup. Nice and warm. However, I can get a position 4 like Strat sound with all of the 3 pickups on which is cool. I can get nice distorted tones from a creamy sound by the neck pickup, and a nice AC/DC style sound from the Bridge pickup. Although the stock neck and middle pickups are nice, the Bridge pickup could be better. However that's just a minor issue and does not really bug me. Also, woever had the guitar first did not include the vibrola arm so I can not tell you how the vibrola sounds with the guitar.

Overall this is a great guitar, especially for the price I got it. Definately looks as good as it sounds and definately suits my style. During my 6 years of playing, I've always wanted an SG. Well due to my budget, I am happy to find this guitar to satisfy my want for an SG guitar. I've played Gibbys before and this is on par with it. Maybe a good pickup change or new pots, this will be a singing guitar (although it already is). LIke I said, I'm very satisfied with my guitar, maybe a better Bridge pickup, no biggie. I own plenty of other guitars such as my Schecter Gryphon Limited Edition guitar, a Jay Turser 335 copy, and a late 80's Epiphone Strat copy. I have not put this guitar down. If it were stolen, I would be that crap out of the person who did (jk but I would be quite upset). I would get it or Gibson (especially for the same price which I highly doubt I'll get). But I love my new SG. Just wish I had the vibrola arm... Anyway hope you enjoyed this review.

Well, I am a careful player, but I'm sure the guitar is quite durable for being in outstanding condition for an used guitar. I'm sure it will withstand live performanes (which I can't wait to do). However I would probably bring a backup. Not that I don't trust it, but you never know (just in case or if I need to swith tunings...). The finish will probably last a while, just some polishing and wiping down after play due to being a white finish. The only thing is that the stap button was loose so I'm a bit concerned about it.

I got the guitar used so I cannot provide an answer for how well the guitar was set up intially from the factory (I'm sure adjustments were needed). When I picked up the guitar, the guitar was set up fine and the action is quite low with little to no buzzing. The frets are still in good condition and there are no sharp edges. I slightly raised the pickups to my liking but other than that it was well setup. Other than that, no finish cracks for being a 5 year old guitar. It was cared for well. Only some slight wear of the gold hardware which is common for guitars with gold hardare.

Well, what we have here is Epiphone's take off the 1963 Gibson Les Paul/SG which features the 3 pickup configuration and block inlays for the markers. This guitar was made in the Unsung factory (in Korea?) on August of 2006. Mahogany body with a set mahogany neck with rosewood fretboard and previously stated block inlays. Unlike the other "budget" guitars of Epiphone's SG series, this guitar has binding on the neck and headstock which is a nice cosmetic feature. This guitar has an Alpine White finish, Tune-o-Matic bridge, and a maestro vibrola which all have gold hardware. The controls are quite handy giving you a volume for each of the pickups, a master tone control, and a 3 way switch. The tuners are Grovers.