G-400 Custom review by Epiphone

Epiphone: G-400 Custom

Purchased from: Local Shop

This guitar's humbuckers are pretty HOT so it handles a lot of the metal and rock that I play. I am not very dependent on pedals but the 5 that I cannot live with out (Carbon Copy, 535Q Crybaby, Deltalab Metal Distortion, Phase 90, and the Black Label Chorus) can only enhance the sound trough my Night Train amp stack. The guitar's sound is pretty consistent even through different amps (such as through my friend/lead guitarist's Marshall). I get a pretty full sound which works out as a rhythm guitarist.

If there was one thing I could have above all else, it would be an ebony fretboard, but that won't happen. So I will have to settle for wanting locking tuners, a bone or graphite nut, and a little better jack. Over all though, I have found this as the prefect replacement for a Fender Telecaster Thinline.

After replacing the straplocks (not because of necessity, but because I throw around my guitar a lot and prefer the Dunlop dual locking) I discovered that this guitar was almost built to gig. The thing is built like a rock (though a little neck heavy something that has plagued SG's for years), and has amazing fret access due to the neck meeting at the 22nd fret.

The guitar played like butter right from the get go. In terms of flaws, one is the fact that the jack plug will come loose all the time. The first gig I played with it, I had a wrench in my pocket and would readjust the nut on there between songs while the bassist and other guitarists changed equipment. And this is not just a lemon on my guitar. Many reviews that I have read on this guitar have complaigned of the same ailment. One thing you will want to do almost immediately is get a new nut put in. About 3 days after I bought mine, the nut and snapped off clean on the edge and although this might also be attributed to the heavy gauge strings that I use, the plastic nut that comes with it looks very cheap.

The model that I bought is a 2010 Korean G-400 Custom. It's got the Epiphone Standard of 24 3/4 scale length and 22 frets, and the neck being joined at to the body at the 22nd fret. The body and neck are mahogany. Rosewood fretboard really brings this guitar to a Vintage style without the Vintage price. Currently it comes in Antique Ivory gloss finish which to me looks like a very light yellow more than the cream color that one would expect. Gold hardware sets the guitar off. The best feature of this guitar is the one reason that I bought it: 3 alnico classic humbucking pickups. Instead of the Standard 2 tone 2 volume that most Epiphone and Gibson SG's/Les Pauls come with, it has 3 volume and 1 tone. Each pickup has an independent volume and when the 3 way toggle is in the middle position all three pickups are on. In rhythm, the neck and middle are on, and in treble, the middle and Bridge pickups are on. I usually keep my toggle in the middle and just turn the volume down on the pickup I don't want. It has a a TOM Bridge with a stopbar, Grover tuners, and the truss rod cover is engraved with Les Paul along with the end of the fretboard bearing the same script.

R0MEZ
    I have 2 les pauls, ibanez art custom, 2 yamahas, and this one is just a perfect add to my collection. Not over exagerating this guitar is perfect the way it is, if u dont like the way the pickups are wired, it costs 20$ to switch it to any combo, and the 3 volume knobs enable u to turn off any pickup at any point in time, the binding on the neck keeps the neck protected and only adds a satysfying feeling to it. This guitar is one of a kind and it is a keeper. I love it.