G-400 Custom Review

22,331
reviews (21) pictures (2) 74 comments vote for this gear:
G-400 Custom Reviewed by: bryan j, on november 22, 2004

Purchased from: ebay

Features: The guitar has amzing sound with three 57 classic humbuckers and an solid mahogany body. It is on an SG style body with a tune o matic bridge. It has 3 independant volume controls and one tone for tons of different sounds. It is a 2003 with 22 frets. // 10

Sound: I play almost every style of music (metal to classical) and this guitar does it all. With three humbuckers it makes every sound. I cheaped out and went with a Fender Frontman amp whick makes a slight buzz (this is not from the guitar because my Squier does it too). This guitar has scorching distortion and amzing clean tone. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action is super low on this guitar, it would be a tight squezze to get a pece of paper under the strings. The guitar was set up perfect when I got it. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I don't gig but the strap buttons are solid, the hardware seems perfect and the finish is beautiful (cream white, meant to look like a pearl white 61 that has faded ovwer the years). I am just a bedroom plater so it doesn't take any abuse so I am not really sure about the durability, seems good though. // 8

Overall Impression: I love this guitar I have played many guitars that cost much more but this one competes with them all. I love everything about the guitar and hate nothing. If it were lost I would definately buy another. // 10

G-400 Custom Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 02, 2004

Purchased from: GAK

Features: Ebony fretboard, 23 frets, Gibson USA pick ups, 3 Volume controls (1 for each pick up) and tone, Selector Switch for Rhythm or Treble. Thin neck. // 10

Sound: Amazingly sharp sound, even thoguh i use a crappy Peavy Blazer 150, I have used Marshall stacks and thsi guitar gives a brilliant sound. This guitar can play almsot all styles, but is stacked mre towards rock/punk/hardcore. Likes: Great vresatile sound, Lots of control over the tone Doesn't go out of tune for ages (unless you lpay REALLY hard for hours) ...list is endless really? Dislikes: ..None to be honest? // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Flawless guitar? What more can I say, the gold hardware make it look about 10 times the amount you paid for the guitar itself. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Perfect for live playing... Hardware seems like it will last forever and ever? Finish MIGHT start to wear but not for years... // 8

Overall Impression: I've been playing for just over 2 years and have got pretty good really fast, I started off with a Yamaha Pacifica and when I first played this guitar in the shop...wow...the difference in sound was unbelieveable. If this guitar was ever lsot or stolen I'd leg it to the shop to get a replacement...that's how amazing it is... plus the 3 pick ups mean it can even rival the sound qualiy of the Gibson SG. // 10

G-400 Custom Reviewed by: wilmearz, on february 16, 2007

Purchased from: GAK.co.uk

Features: A copy of the Les Paul/SG Custom of the '60s. It says Les Paul on the headstock as it is copied from the time when SG's were Les Pauls, super low action I personally love it. Has a tendency to slope as the headstock is heavy but you get used to this. It has 22 frets and great tone with the 3 classic 57 Humbuckers. I didn't get anything else with the guitar. // 10

Sound: This guitar suits basically every style of music I have tried. Great sound with even my crappy Marshall MG15CD and Behringer multi effects. Have got clean tones, awesome slash- like tone and fuzzy hard Muse tone, sound great for all. This guitar sounds so much better than my old Strat and I love the mellow tone. I look foreward to playing it with acoustic effects like when I play knocking on heavens door: it sounds awesome. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I love the super low action on my SG, the pickups were fine and all the cuts were good. Have broken several high E strings, so possibly a badly filed slot but hasn't happened recently. Beautiful finish and looks amazing in the flesh, the Humbucker finish may fade with time and dirt does show up clearly on the guitar, however it's looks make up for that. The slot where the lead goes (not sure what it's called sorry) has broken several times, tried sticking it but didn't help, just means you have to unscrew the back to do it back up. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I think the G400 Custom will easily withstand Live playing, as long as you treat it with respect. Haven't tried yet but wouldn't take a backup, wouldn't feel the need. The strap buttons are solid and I don't think it's ever come close to coming off. The finish seems lie it's going to last a long time and I would depend on this great guitar. // 8

Overall Impression: I seem to have been quite critical in this review but don't let me put anyone off. I have been playing for 2 years and am good for my time, I love my SG and everyone Who sees it thinks it's worth the rrp of 470 you don't have to tell them you got it for less. The problems I have mentioned are probably unique to my guitar and do not affect my playing. I think for value for money this is very hard to beat as it sounds far better then some of the Gibson counterparts, a great step up from a beginners guitar and for a better player as well. Have to mention the super easy reach and smoothness of the fret board. If I lost it I might buy it again but would probably by a Les Paul for a change, I wish it had a better made lead slot but that's just me. A great guitar. // 9

G-400 Custom Reviewed by: Abandoned67, on october 13, 2007

Purchased from: Musicians Friend

Features: This guitar is a G-400 Custom Shop "Les Paul" SG with three humbuckers, a Meastro Tremolo and all gold hardware. It is called a "Re-creation of the classic 3 pickup SG" which oviously refers to the 61' double cutaway Les Paul because the guitar says "Les Paul Custom" on it. It is white and the paint is called "Antique White" but in person it is exactly like Gibsons "Alpine White". It has three Alnico II Classic humbuckers like the original but now has a volume control for each pickup and one overall controling tone dial. It also has the Standard Gibson style three-way Switch that has a "Treble" and "Rhythm" positon along with the regular middle position that activates all three pickups. It has gold Grover tuners and a gold tune-o-matic bridge. On this guitar enstead of there being the Standard Gibson SG stopbar there is a classic style Maestro Tremolo with a gold "anchor" plate that says "Epiphone" and has a harp looking object escribed on it. The neck is rosewood with pearl block inlays on 22 the frets. I am giving this guitar a 10 because I couldnt ask for more out of the looks and features on this guitar. // 10

Sound: I play anything that I hear and like and besides that I make up my own stuff. Most of what I play however is rock and blues. This guitar makes what I play sound great. I use a small Crate GT15 amp at my home and I have played it on Kustom Dual 30 RC amp that my friend owns, it sounds good on boath amps. There are so many different possiblitys sound wise because you can control the individual pickups and then the tone knob, not to mention the controls on the amps and effects. It is almost impossible to say what settings sound best but I have personaly got some good rockablily and true rock and roll sounds along with some classic 50's sounds out of it. I ususaly play Sweet Child O Mine by Guns N' Roses as a warm up and the guitar makes the song sound so awesome. The pickups on this guitar are three Alnico II Classic humbuckers that when they first came around were only used on the best Gibsons, so oviously they aren't going to be that bad at all. Now there are a lot more expensive and great pickups out there but these are absolutly fine for me and the price I payed, this is why I am giving the sound rating a 9. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I have not changed the settings on the guitar since I received it. I can't complain about the pickups, bridge, or the tuners. Everything seemed to be in good order and ready to play. The only complaint about it was the Switch had a weird Orange colored knob on it enstead of a regular black or white one. Otherwise the finish and everything was perfect. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have not played a real gig with this guiar but I am sure I will play some small ones with it eventually. I have used it to jam with some friends (including a drummer) and it sounded great. I would most definitly depend on it and it has not given me any reason not to. The finish and hardware all seems to be something that will last and I will definitly take care of the gold hardware to make sure the great color lasts on it. I bought a Epiphone hardshell case for it to make sure it is protected from the elements and lasts. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar is not only has mean looks but also has a lot of history behind it. I have heard bad stories about Epiphone guitars so I did my research on them and the guitar before I bought it. This is a 61' reissue basicly, this is the guitar that Les Paul saw in the store window when Gibson made the Les Paul a double cut away. Then he went to Gibson and told them he didn't like it take his name off of it, which is when they named it the SG for Solidbody Guitar. The only diference is that this is a Epiphone nothing wrong with that and this is a custom so it's the fancy verson of the 61' SG. This beats a lot of decesnt guitars out there that I know of. My frineds say that it glows when I open the case and everyone that has seen it has great comments about it. Overall this guitar is great for the price if your looking for a good looking and sounding guitar. This is one of Epiphone's most expensive guitars with a list price of $999.99. For me this guitar totaly denies the rumors that all Epiphone guitars are bad. // 10

G-400 Custom Reviewed by: Jambo165, on august 07, 2008

Features: My Epiphone G-400 was "hand-crafted" in China. It has 22 frets with a solid-top. In the picture above it's shown as white, although mine is a lot more creamy. 3 Golden Humbuckers. 3-Way controls, 3 volume knobs and a tone knob. Non-locking tuners, which is my only real issue with this guitar. It tends to lose tuning by a few tones every bend or so. Neck is mahogany with squared-frets. Overall, my only issue is the non-locking tuners, which can be a nuisance. // 9

Sound: The guitar tends to suit any style I wish to play. If I want to play rock stuff, metal etc it gives out a clear sound, even through a cheap amp. If I want to play acoustic, the sound is very good. The pickups give out a great distorted sound. It suits most volumes, I have yet to blast it at full volume. May not be a sound issue, but I find it harder to harmonic on this guitar. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Guitar was set-up exceedingly well, which made a change from my last guitar which was extremely poorly constructed. Neck is aligned well with the body, made out of a two-piece. I would like a bit more leeway with the middle pickup, as it can get in the way of playing. Also, the knobs turn at a wonky angle. It's not a problem that effects playing, but it is something that I dislike about it. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I've never played Live with it, but I do often take it out of the house, take it to school, play for people. There have been many cases where I'm stuck in a confined room with 15 people and a bassist whilst playing, and apart from it falling over once or twice and banging the head numerous times, it has maintained reliability. Still works fine from the day I got it around 4 months ago. Seems like I could use this guitar for many years to come. Strap buttons are on it well, but they don't suit my playing style. Having a Fender previously, I've been used to just letting the guitar rest nicely facing up, but since the SG is a very top-heavy guitar, it will tilt often and have been some cases where the guitar will fall out of the strap. I've caught it every time but I fear I'll break it one day if action isn't taken. I'd would be able to depend upon the guitar in a gig and be happy for it to be my only instrument. The finish itself looks spotless apart from the occasional bit of dust that comes off with a bit of cleaning. There's still not a scratch on it and to be fair, I'm not a careful player, I do drag my pick across the body often. // 9

Overall Impression: Nothing says rock than an SG and this is no exception. I love standing up and just jamming to any piece of music with this guitar. It looks great and it feels great to do it. I've been playing about a year and 7 months, but from what I hear, I'm very advanced for my playing time. I have a cheap amp with distortion and a clean Peavey RAGE-158 that I don't use that often. Before I bought the product, I wish I had asked for a manual on the guitar, so I didn't have to research all this myself. If this guitar was stolen or lost, and I had the money to buy a new one, I wouldn't replace it exactly, but get another SG in red. Cream and gold is a brilliant colour to look at, but red guitars are where it's at. I love the body of the guitar. I've always liked the SG style guitar even before I was interested in guitars and noticed a difference. I would have preferred a Gibson SG as people are slightly let-down when they see it's an Epiphone, but I still think it performs as well. Two things I dislike about the guitar are the strings distance from the fretboard, it's an average distance but I prefer the strings closer. Also, I dislike the strap placement, but it's what you get when you buy an SG. When picking out a new guitar a few months ago, I had the choice of an X-plorer or this one. Maybe I would have picked the X-plorer because I think they're amazing guitars but there wasn't the colour in that I wanted, so I went ahead and got the SG. I don't so much regret it, but I'd like to have had a play around with the X-plorer beforehand. I wish it had 24 frets. // 9

G-400 Custom Reviewed by: dexfx69, on november 23, 2012

Price paid: C$ 450

Purchased from: Long and McQuade

Features: Epiphone put extra care into this one, to honor the specialness of this historic model. Actually, Epiphone got it more right than Gibson in some ways; I own a Gibson SG 61 Reissue, but actually, there was no SG in 61 - it was called a Les Paul. At least Epiphone calls it a Les Paul on the nameplate above the neck pup. Kudos! The electronics, finish, frets are all good - no issues with them here. The action is better than some Gibsons I own - really nice. The main differences between this and the much pricier Gibson model is that the pickups are muddier, and the body contouring is not as extreme on the Epi. Otherwise, a great value. // 10

Sound: The sound is very responsive and satisfying, however the high end is fairly muffled - the pickups should be changed to 57 Classics or Parsons Street equivalents, to bring the best tone forward. It's worth it, as this guitar is well made and plays great. I find the guitar is very warm and gutsy, and responds well to picking dynamics. The poly finish is not too thick so the tone is not muffled as much as it is on many other electric guitars, such as Fender Stratocasters. The 3 pickup configuration gives lots of tonal variation as well. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The paint is flawless and not too thick, the binding is flawless and very attractive. The body contours are not as smooth as the Gibson version which makes is slightly less comfortable, but still much more comfortable than a Gibson Les Paul, with it's square edges. The setup was actually quite good, with very very low action and buzzing not an issue - you usually find this quality of fretwork only on Gibson's models costing $1000+, so that was a very pleasant surprise. This guitar plays faster than many of my Gibson Les Pauls. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've had no problems with this guitar failing, except one of the metal pieces that says "Tone" fell out, I just put a little glue and it was fixed in 5 seconds. It stays in tune very well and has very fast action. It has a slightly thicker neck than most current Gibson SGs which makes it slightly less easy to play fast runs, but is still a very fast guitar to play due to the well levelled frets and low action. None of the hardware is loose or dodgy, and the pickups are seated very well. No buzzing from the bridge either. This one's a winner. // 9

Overall Impression: Although this guitar would sound better with 57 Classic pups or equivalent, the investment is well worth it, as this guitar stands up to my Gibson SGs very well in fit, finish, playability and looks. Sure it doesn't have a thin nitro finish, thin neck and 57 Classics, but with pup replacement, this is a high quality guitar in tone, looks and playability, and I play it just as much as I do my Gibson equivalents. The low action alone really inspires you to pick it up and play it often. For me, I'd rather play this than my Gibson Les Paul Studio models - it's faster playing due to careful fretwork.

// 10

G-400 Custom Reviewed by: HeavenHelpUs777, on september 28, 2016

Purchased from: Local music shop

Features: The guitar was made in China in 2011.

• Body: Mahogany
  • Neck: Mahogany
  • Scale: 24.75"
  • Fingerboard: Rosewood
  • Frets: 22
  • Inlays: Big Block
  • Tuners: Grover, non-locking
  • Pickups: Epiphone Alnico II humbuckers (x3)
  • Controls: 3 Volume (1 for each of the 3 pickups), 1 Tone, 3-way switch (Middle pickup stays on through all 3 configurations unless you specifically turn the volume control down)
  • Bridge: Tune-o-matic with stopbar tailpiece
  • Finish: Antique Ivory
  • Hardware: Gold
It came with an Epiphone gig bag, no other accessories. // 10

Sound: I'm a versatile player, I'm mostly into metal but i play hard rock, jazz, and pop sometimes. It does sound good for metal (I mostly play stuff by bands like Avenged Sevenfold, Bullet For My Valentine, Metallica, Dethklok, Jupiter, Versailles, etc) but it's not really it's best and it's not the best option for the most extreme subgenres of metal. This guitar is made for rock, specially classic rock, and it does an amazing job for that kind of music. It works great for pop and jazz too. I mostly use Guitar Rig 5 on my PC, but I have used different amps with the guitar (Behringer GTX30, Marshall MS-2, Marshall MG100FX) and it provides a great sound through all of them, specially clean. I use a Boss ML-2, a Dunlop Zakk Wylde Wah and a NuX Pedal Tuner for pedals. The ML-2 really helps in getting a heavily distorted sound that suits metal on this guitar. Without a proper distortion pedal, the distorted sound is not so heavy but it'll still give a decent metal sound. The tone is really warm and bright even witр high amounts of distortion, and you can get beautiful sounds out of it on the clean channel. The 3 pickup configuration gives you tons of different sounds and makes it really versatile. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar came in good shape out of the store, with nice action and well adjusted pickups. But some months afterwards, the volume and tone controls crooked up. The jack unscrewed a lot too, so I replaced the controls for Gibson ones and the jack for a DiMarzio jack. The new controls and jack work great and I got no problem with them since. Tuning stability is OK but I would probably expect more from Grover tuners. The guitar needs to be tuned when you start playing and sometimes the G string will get flat. The gold hardware looks great after 5 years and seems like it'll last a long time. The finish looks flawless and nice, with a beautiful Antique Ivory colour. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This guitar would definitely withstand live playing, the hardware looks beautiful and sturdy (after replacing the faulty controls and the jack), the strap buttons are OK and do they job when I play standing up, even tho I would probably get straplocks to replace them just in case. I could use it on a gig without a backup but I'd rather not just because I'm kinda paranoid. The gold hardware and the finish are pretty much flawless and I think they'll stay that way for many years. The gold finish on the pickups started to fade a tiny bit recently but you have to look close to see it. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar is a good match for most of the music I play (metal, rock, jazz, pop), it's not the best at any style but it can do a good job on pretty much any type of music you want to play. The distortion is nice and crunchy and the cleans are rich and warm. I've been playing for 4 years, my other guitars are a Schecter Synyster Gates Custom, an unbranded classical guitar, and the amps and pedals I mentioned before.

PROS
- Great and versatile sound
- Great looks
- OK tuning stability
- Comfortable neck with easy access to higher frets (even tho it would be nice if it had 24 frets, but that's just personal choice)

CONS
- Flawed hardware (crooked volume and tone controls, jack that used to unscrew a lot)

Overall, a nice guitar with tons of versatility, beautiful looks and a great sound. I'm quite pleased with it after replacing the volume and tone controls and the jack and pretty much everyone who plays it likes it. // 8

G-400 Custom Reviewed by: oldcabage, on december 16, 2005

Purchased from: Gak.co.uk

Features: This is based on the Vintage les paul SG of the '60s with a few modern twists, including all gold hardware and three gold plated Gibson Humbuckers. The controlls are 3 volume (one for each pickup) and one master tone which varies from the other SG models which include two of each, however, this enables a more complex method of tone control which, for my perfectionists style of playing, is preferable. I bought the antique ivory colour which looks great (especially on a dimly lit stage). As a metal player, this could do with a floyd-rose tremalo, but picking up softer and more classical tunes it sounds great. Came with a free lead. // 9

Sound: The sound is incredibly versitile due to the 3-way volume control. This is very important for me as I am most commonly playing either heavy metal, or completely clean classical guitar. I am using a Digitech GNX 2 guitar processor with this guitar and it sounds great with a light chorus or flange effect. I have adjusted my playing style since purchasing this guitar because I was catching the middle pickup during picking, but this was no big problem as it only took about a week or so to get accustomed to. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Is very easy to play for botyh rhythm and lead. The long neck is very useful for soloing making it much easier to reach the high frets than on a Strat. The fingerboard offers a very smooth action and is great for sliding, runs and hammer-ons and pull-offs. GAK had set the guitar up extremely well and it has not needed any maintenance in the last two years (except string changing and general cleaning). // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar sounds great live, recorded and while practicing. I have had it for several years and there is not so much as a scratch wrong with this guitar. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar is probably one of my favourite ever musical buys. Why? Because it constantly amazes people who have estimated its value at around 5 or 6 hundred pounds, that it only cost 256. The reason people guess such a high price of value for this baby, is because it looks, sounds and plays like a guitar far out of its league in all genres of music. // 10

G-400 Custom Reviewed by: screamokid, on february 05, 2007

Features: This is an amazing guitar. People probaly think it's total crap because it's and Epiphone, but Epiphone has been around longer then Gibson so they obviously must be doing something right. It's kinda become the fad to bag on Epiphone but I don't think that all the rumors and crap about epi are true. Sure you can get a crappy 150$ Epi and have it screw up on you after the first week, but this guitar is not like that at all. It has 22 frets with a rose wood fret board. Plays very nice, I can move pretty fast for solos and other fast parts. It's not a laminated finish which I am very happy with. My old guitar was a crappy wannabe Strat that had such a horrible lamination it just pealed off so this is definatly a step up for me. All the parts were made and inspected in the USA but assembled in China, that's cool with me. 3-way pick knob thingy, 2 tone and 2 volume knobs. Tune-O-Matic bridge, it never falls out of tune. Strap knobs kinda sucked, but I took them off within the first week and got strap locks, I lost my last guitar because I didn't have strap locks and I'm not making the same mistake twice. Only problem is the bridge is difficult to get to adjust how I like it but once I got that it was great. I even liked it more then some gibsons I played. // 9

Sound: I like to play hardcore, metal, metalcore, emo, punk, basically whatever I think sounds good. I like it for all the stuff. It's not great for the metal, but I have a Line 6 Spider 2 210 so I just put it on the "insane setting" and that problem is gone. I like to play it with a delay and a chorus it gives this real rich trippy tone that I like, but when I don't use that I use distortion, the clean. I love the way this guitar plays when I play it clean. It sounds like it has a built in reverb, even if I don't play with reverb. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: It was set up pretty good at the factory except the action and bridge, but that was easy enough to fix. One of the tuners what a little lose, I just put my screw driver in it and tightened it up. But there were no real "flaws" but the strap knobs sucked, I couldnt really stand and play at all so I bought strap locks and everything is just how I like it. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I haven't played this guitar Live yet but it seems pretty good, I think it could go through a show solid. the hardware was fine, no problems there. The bad part is that it kinda falls down with the strap, but that's just what SGs do because of the way there set up so it's fine. I would definetly play this guitar without backup. // 10

Overall Impression: I've been playing for 3 years most hardcore metal and emo it's definetly a step up from what I have been playing. I play it through a Line 6 Spider 2 210. I'm looking into a distortion petal, but that's just to get more tones. I would probaly kill the person that would steal this guitar because it's really awesome and I think it completes my sound at least at this time. I played Gibsons, Fenders, Ibanezs, and Epis, I liked this guitar the best, with a Fender Tele Standard at a close second, this one can just get heavier then a Standard Tele and I need that at times. It's great I definitly recomend it if your not in the budget for a Gibson. // 10

G-400 Custom Reviewed by: *bLeEdInG_hErO*, on may 21, 2008

Purchased from: Sound Control

Features: I bought this guitar about two years ago as a replacement for my old Squire Strat, and initially thought it was great. The guitar has a 3-way pickup selector and the Standard 4 volume / tone knobs that come with most sg/les paul guitars. There are 3 pickups on this model, which played a big part in luring me to buy it over the Standard G400, as did the gold finish on all hardware such as tuners, pick-ups and the bridge. The only thing that put me off this was the cream paintwork, but I knew that this was purely a small matter, and could be changed in the future. // 8

Sound: The cleans on this guitar are amazing, giving a rich texture whichever pickup is selected, and for any work which cleans are needed, I'll definately keep using this guitar. However, the three pickup configuration seems to deliver a muddy, dampened sound when distorted or overdriven. So if you play hard rock or metal, I would probably recommend the Standard G400 over this. Also for detuning into -for example- Drop C or B this guitar isnt ideal as the tuning seems fine on open strings against the tuner, but sounds horribly out of tune once I start playing (and no, it's not just bad playing, honest). // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar came to me in just about perfect finish. Aside from tuning up a couple of strings the fit & finish could only be described as flawless, and it was most certainly a case of plug in and play straight out of the box. After two years I still haven't encountered any fitting problems and the finish remains perfect, other than scratches from dropping it at gigs. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I gigged this G400 Custom for a year without any technical issues and without a backup, and while i dont use it anymore after buying a guitar which suits my sound better, im confident the guitar could last years without any problems and i still keep it as a backup i know i can rely on. The only durability issue is that after a few months the gold coating on the pickups begins to flake off to reveal the silver underneath, however, this is purely cosmetic, and shouldnt deter anyone from buying it. // 8

Overall Impression: I play mostly hardcore/metal and if im honest, this guitar doesnt really suit it. However, anything which requires lots of cleans or Standard tuning work, this guitar is ideal for. I often use it for things such as Coheed & Cambria or similar styles, as it suits this perfectly. If this were stolen or lost id probably get something a little more versatile which could handle dropped tunings and distortion a little better. However, i wouldnt sell this guitar purely because the cleans are unlike any other guitar ive tried, and that includes Gibson SG's. // 7

G-400 Custom Reviewed by: Coltv, on june 17, 2010

Price paid: C$ 445

Purchased from: Long and McQuade

Features: 22 frets with a pretty fat neck. Not quite as fat as a Gibson but bigger than a Fender and a rosewood fretboard. A mahogany body and cream finish. A classic SG style body just like the regular G-400. A tune-o-matic bridge and I think active electronics. 3-way selector with 3 volume (one for each pickup) and one tone. Classic Epiphone humbucker pickups with alnico II magnets. Grover tuners and it comes with a 1/4 inch cable. // 9

Sound: I play everything from bluegrass to blues to hard rock and this guitar can cover ALL the styles. I've recorded bluegrass with it and it doesn't muddy the sound like some guitars do with all the chord changes. I play blues with this also and the bass tones are just fantastic, the middle pickup gives so much more flexibility and so many different sounds this guitar is the one of the best clean guitars I've ever played and compares with mid-range fenders. For the blues I can easily play rhythm and lead on both clean and distortion channels. For hard rock I usually just will play the bridge pickup only when playing anything distorted. Unfortunately I find if you play the middle and bridge/rhythm while in overdrive it gets a little muddy. Other wise I find this guitar great and for the extra 100$ and the variety you get with it is just awesome. I use a Marshall amp and there is no noise at all. It's got a fantastic full sound. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was really well set up out of the box. All the pickups were good and all the hard ware and things seemed good. There were no flaws as far as I could tell. The only problem I had was the 1/4 inch jack fell through a couple weeks after I got it but just had to tighten the bolt. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Dropped and banged this guitar a number of times but hasn't dented the finish, doesn't even have a scratch on it. The hardware's finish is total crap. I hate to say it but it came off the pickups when I took the plastic off them and the bridge and tail piece are starting to go. The tuners are still okay. Strap buttons are pretty good, they only bailed out once and that was with a leather strap. It seems like it'll last a long time. // 7

Overall Impression: This is a good match for the music I play. I've been playing for about 6 years. I would probably replace this guitar if it were stolen but a Fender would be competing. I love the third pickup and think that its a great guitar for the money. // 9

G-400 Custom Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 15, 2010

Purchased from: Sweetwater

Features: 2010 made in Korea. Solid SG style mahogany body, 22 fret set mahogany neck w/ rosewood fingerboard, block inlays. Tune-o-matic bridge w/ stopbar tailpiece. 3 humbuckers, alnico classics I believe. A three way toggle, 3 independent volume controls and one master tone. Non locking grover tuners. "Antique Ivory" is what the finish is called. // 9

Sound: I play a pretty good mix of styles, from late 60's blues rock to modern alternative/metal type stuff and pretty much everything in between. This guitar does a good job with all the styles I play, but really shines with anything requiring a good low to medium gain tone, like bluesy stuff to classic rock tones. The PAF style pickups aren't quite what I would want if I were solely a metal player, but they get the job done for someone like me who just wants to dabble in higher gain stuff. The pickups sound full and warm, but are capable of plenty of bite if you know how to tweak the controls. The middle pickup is always on, so in the bridge position the bridge and middle pickups are activated, and so on for the other positions. To isolate the bridge pickup for example, you just turn the middle volume to zero. The independent volume controls are an awesome feature. You can get pretty much any humbucker tone you can possibly think of with all the blending possibilities. My favorite setting for crunchy rhythm stuff is the bridge position, bridge volume and tone wide open, middle volume at about 3 just to warm up the sound and give the low end a little more oomph. Obviously no single coil sounds, but this is as versatile as pure humbuckers can get. I play through an Egnater Tweaker head/cab, and some pretty Standard effects (808 clone, distortion, crybaby wah, analog delay, maybe some chorus or flange here and there) and with the versatility of the amp combined with the tonal possibilities of the guitar, I could spend days playing around with pretty much any tone I could ever want. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: My only issue with the factory setup was the intonation, but other than that it played like a dream right out of the box. Some people may have wanted to lower the action ever so slightly, but I tend to play pretty heavy handedly so it was a perfect setup for me. The factory pickup height was a good starting point, but every guitar will have a different sweet spot that will need to be found through some tweaking, but not much at all. The only flaw in the way the guitar plays is the nut; particularly with the G string binding relatively easily. I'll be replacing the nut soon, but some graphite does the trick decently enough for now. As with all SG's, this guitar is pretty neck heavy. However, the SG body style is generally pretty lightweight so I don't really find this to be that big of a deal. Not nearly enough of a drawback to make me want a different guitar. Because of the few slight flaws and for the sake of the official review, I'll give it an 8, but its more like an 8 1/2. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I have no problems believeing this guitar would hold up superbly in a live setitng. All the hardware feels very solid. The only issue with the strap buttons is the position of the one on the back of the guitar, as I could potentially see a strap slipping off if put in an awkward position, but strap locks clear up that problem entirely. I wouldn't hesitate to use this guitar live at all, backup or not. The finish isn't going anywhere anytime soon either. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall this guitar is about as perfect a match to my playing style as a guitar can be. I've been playing for about 2ish years, and this was my first decent guitar after my initial piece of junk I started on. I couldn't be happier with my choice. I love the independent volume knobs and the overall playability, the tone is great, and who doesn't love the way the SG looks? Such a badass looking guitar. My biggest complaint would be with the nut, but for a 500 dollar guitar, I would typically expect to complain about much more than that. Great buy for the money. I was going back and forth between this guitar, an Epi les paul, and a PRS SE Custom 24. I ended up choosing this for the versatility and playability. The PRS had a slightly more comfortable neck, but the slim 60s profile on this is very nice and also this blows the PRS out of the water tonally for me. The Les Paul just felt a little to chunky and heavy for my taste. If i could add any feature, it would be coil taps. That would just send the versatility through the roof. To sum it up, this is an amazing guitar for the money, and a very good guitar overall. Overall I'd say an 8.5 or 9 out of 10. // 9

G-400 Custom Reviewed by: AntmanFelix, on july 18, 2011

Purchased from: Local Music Store

Features: Well, what we have here is Epiphone's take off the 1963 Gibson Les Paul/SG which features the 3 pickup configuration and block inlays for the markers. This guitar was made in the Unsung factory (in Korea?) on August of 2006. Mahogany body with a set mahogany neck with rosewood fretboard and previously stated block inlays. Unlike the other "budget" guitars of Epiphone's SG series, this guitar has binding on the neck and headstock which is a nice cosmetic feature. This guitar has an Alpine White finish, Tune-o-Matic bridge, and a maestro vibrola which all have gold hardware. The controls are quite handy giving you a volume for each of the pickups, a master tone control, and a 3 way switch. The tuners are Grovers. // 10

Sound: The guitar definately suits my style of music ranging to some jazz, country, rockabilly, blues, and classic rock. Basicly anything from the late 50s to 80s. I'm using my guitar with the newly released Fender Mustang III amp, so I can virtually get any sound to my liking. Anyway, I really love the clean tones I get, partically from the neck pickup. Nice and warm. However, I can get a position 4 like Strat sound with all of the 3 pickups on which is cool. I can get nice distorted tones from a creamy sound by the neck pickup, and a nice AC/DC style sound from the Bridge pickup. Although the stock neck and middle pickups are nice, the Bridge pickup could be better. However that's just a minor issue and does not really bug me. Also, woever had the guitar first did not include the vibrola arm so I can not tell you how the vibrola sounds with the guitar. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I got the guitar used so I cannot provide an answer for how well the guitar was set up intially from the factory (I'm sure adjustments were needed). When I picked up the guitar, the guitar was set up fine and the action is quite low with little to no buzzing. The frets are still in good condition and there are no sharp edges. I slightly raised the pickups to my liking but other than that it was well setup. Other than that, no finish cracks for being a 5 year old guitar. It was cared for well. Only some slight wear of the gold hardware which is common for guitars with gold hardare. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Well, I am a careful player, but I'm sure the guitar is quite durable for being in outstanding condition for an used guitar. I'm sure it will withstand live performanes (which I can't wait to do). However I would probably bring a backup. Not that I don't trust it, but you never know (just in case or if I need to swith tunings...). The finish will probably last a while, just some polishing and wiping down after play due to being a white finish. The only thing is that the stap button was loose so I'm a bit concerned about it. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall this is a great guitar, especially for the price I got it. Definately looks as good as it sounds and definately suits my style. During my 6 years of playing, I've always wanted an SG. Well due to my budget, I am happy to find this guitar to satisfy my want for an SG guitar. I've played Gibbys before and this is on par with it. Maybe a good pickup change or new pots, this will be a singing guitar (although it already is). LIke I said, I'm very satisfied with my guitar, maybe a better Bridge pickup, no biggie. I own plenty of other guitars such as my Schecter Gryphon Limited Edition guitar, a Jay Turser 335 copy, and a late 80's Epiphone Strat copy. I have not put this guitar down. If it were stolen, I would be that crap out of the person who did (jk but I would be quite upset). I would get it or Gibson (especially for the same price which I highly doubt I'll get). But I love my new SG. Just wish I had the vibrola arm... Anyway hope you enjoyed this review. // 10

G-400 Custom Reviewed by: tonello, on august 22, 2011

Purchased from: Local Shop

Features: The model that I bought is a 2010 Korean G-400 Custom. It's got the Epiphone Standard of 24 3/4 scale length and 22 frets, and the neck being joined at to the body at the 22nd fret. The body and neck are mahogany. Rosewood fretboard really brings this guitar to a Vintage style without the Vintage price. Currently it comes in Antique Ivory gloss finish which to me looks like a very light yellow more than the cream color that one would expect. Gold hardware sets the guitar off. The best feature of this guitar is the one reason that I bought it: 3 alnico classic humbucking pickups. Instead of the Standard 2 tone 2 volume that most Epiphone and Gibson SG's/Les Pauls come with, it has 3 volume and 1 tone. Each pickup has an independent volume and when the 3 way toggle is in the middle position all three pickups are on. In rhythm, the neck and middle are on, and in treble, the middle and Bridge pickups are on. I usually keep my toggle in the middle and just turn the volume down on the pickup I don't want. It has a a TOM Bridge with a stopbar, Grover tuners, and the truss rod cover is engraved with Les Paul along with the end of the fretboard bearing the same script. // 8

Sound: This guitar's humbuckers are pretty HOT so it handles a lot of the metal and rock that I play. I am not very dependent on pedals but the 5 that I cannot live with out (Carbon Copy, 535Q Crybaby, Deltalab Metal Distortion, Phase 90, and the Black Label Chorus) can only enhance the sound trough my Night Train amp stack. The guitar's sound is pretty consistent even through different amps (such as through my friend/lead guitarist's Marshall). I get a pretty full sound which works out as a rhythm guitarist. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar played like butter right from the get go. In terms of flaws, one is the fact that the jack plug will come loose all the time. The first gig I played with it, I had a wrench in my pocket and would readjust the nut on there between songs while the bassist and other guitarists changed equipment. And this is not just a lemon on my guitar. Many reviews that I have read on this guitar have complaigned of the same ailment. One thing you will want to do almost immediately is get a new nut put in. About 3 days after I bought mine, the nut and snapped off clean on the edge and although this might also be attributed to the heavy gauge strings that I use, the plastic nut that comes with it looks very cheap. // 6

Reliability & Durability: After replacing the straplocks (not because of necessity, but because I throw around my guitar a lot and prefer the Dunlop dual locking) I discovered that this guitar was almost built to gig. The thing is built like a rock (though a little neck heavy something that has plagued SG's for years), and has amazing fret access due to the neck meeting at the 22nd fret. // 9

Overall Impression: If there was one thing I could have above all else, it would be an ebony fretboard, but that won't happen. So I will have to settle for wanting locking tuners, a bone or graphite nut, and a little better jack. Over all though, I have found this as the prefect replacement for a Fender Telecaster Thinline. // 8

Comments