G-400 Extreme review by Epiphone

• Reviewer's score: 6 Neat
Epiphone: G-400 Extreme

Oh good lord, the sounds on this are fantastic. I kid ye not, it's amazing. I play classic '70s/'80s rock & punk, with a bit of Blues in there, & it made more than a few people jealous in terms of sound. Okay, the bridge/rhythm pickup is far too muddy for my liking, but the neck pickup is an absolute Godsend. A few more pickup controls would've been ace (there's only a 3 way toggle and 1 volume knob). Would be ace to try & have a similar way of controlling as I have on my Les Paul (where I've got the rhythm pickup on half volume so it adds some low end to the treble/neck pickup's sound)

For what I do, it does look a little OTT. Although if I ever do get around to forming a Gothic Glam rock band, I'll know right where to go! I had been playing for just over 3 years when I got it. In hindsight, I wish I'd asked if there was any reason why it's previous owner had traded it in, then I might've learned about the faults I lost patience with! I'd be annoyed if it were stolen, but to be fair, if somebody nicks it in it's current state, they're utterly dim. I love the look of it & that treble pickup's tone, they're purely perfect, & what made me try to fix the guitar. The rhythm pickup was a problem, but I just ignored it in the end, but that tremolo system is what's killed my interest in it in the end. When it's got a better bridge, it may well see light of day, but now, it's just in it's gigbag, a hollow taunt of what might've been. Just a shame they ain't making anymore, they could've possibly done a deal to put a better floyd rose in & saved the guitar.

Oh, just read above for the gripe on this guitar. Everything else on this damn guitar is in superb condit., and should last me a Long way yet, but it's just the trem. I know I shouldn't have ripped the tremolo out of it because it's a discontinued guitar model, but sod it. If I feel confident enough, I'll buy an original & get that installed, & see how that goes. Otherwise, I'm tempted to salvage to do several salvage jobs with it, such as put the pickups in a 67 type V guitar, where I can control the volumes of the pickups separately.

I got the guitar second hand, & the action was nicely done, but I can't say whether it was a factory job or owner-done. What I do have a gripe about is the Licenced Floyd Rose system. Oh, good lord it's bloody awful. Refuses to hold tune for more than 5 minutes no matter what you try. In the end, I've now decided 'sod this' & ripped the unit out, saving up for either a simpler tremolo system or a Stopbar type system. It might just be a naffly built set, but this guitar's put me off trying Floyd Roses now, I just can't be arsed with the hassle of having to go through everything 3 times as quickly. It also had a pair of cracks in the neck right where the screws bolt it onto the guitar, but these don't seem to be doing anything adverse to the guitar.

Haven't a fragging clue when it was made, but as EPis are, parts inspected in Gibson HQ before been shipped to Japan to be put together. Mahogany body with a rosewrood freboard, 22 frets. The finish is a bit of a weird matt black with a Diamond steel pick guard. The look of the guitar is sort of half-way between a normal SG and a BC rich Warlock. 2 humbucking pickups, not sure if they're Alcinos or owt fancy like that, but they're high-output. Grover tuners, with an Epiphone made Licensed Floyd Rose Tremolo system. Nothing with it, but I did get get a leather strap & backpack gig bag dirt cheap. Was also half price, so I don't mind at all, I got a good deal, far better than the 515 I paid for my Epi Les Paul.

Korzack
    ^Christ, this guitar's had more reviews than you've got brain cells, if that's the best insult you can do. With mine, I had it properly set up twice, and TBH between the shoddy licenced floyd and the 2 cracks in the neck, I've decided to 'frankenstein' this guitar - Find a 24-fret neck, install a Kahler trem and swap the pickups for something suitably mentalist - maybe a set of EMG's or something.
    Korzack
    Update on my review:Am now working on adding a stop-bar on the end & doing away with all the locks & fine tuning etc. Might also swap the licensed trem for a Floyd Original, but tbh that's a bit much for what I'm wanting to do. And if it looks so wannabe-metal, I'm sure this ain't the only one -What about Glenn Tipton's Hamer? Only reason that's not in this thing's area is because of the high-grade extras he's thrown on (and the fact Tipton himself is a superb player)
    Korzack
    Also, I got the pickups the wrong way around then - I didn;t know the treble one was the bridge, & the rhythm's on the neck... Noob mistake I'm now long over.
    blazerok
    wow, i thought the reverse flying v from gibson was ugly, but this really is a disaster!!!XD
    Pseudonaja
    Update. 18 months on and still have the guitar. Haven't needed to tune it in about a month, just fiddle with the fine tune knobs and it's in tune.
    Korzack wrote: but it simply does not stay in tune in standard settings-lol keeps slipping down n down.
    Any Floyd would do that if it's not set up right. Sounds glorious with Joe Satriani picks and Ernie Balls normal slinky. Decided not to change the pickups cause when I play along with my friend's Cort G290 the 2 sounds compliment each other.