G-400 Extreme review by Epiphone

Epiphone: G-400 Extreme

Purchased from: Used

The sound of the guitar surprised me very much. I looked at it and expected nothing from the sound of it. But when I started to use it, it was a dream. My expectations were turned upside-down. When you use the lower pick-up it gives a very full sound, like a box-guitar. the bridge pick-up is more hardcore and more fitting. It's more raw and grinding. Perfectly fitting for playing metal or any other heavy stuff. I play metal and grunge and the guitar does everything for me. I can play both soft and hard on this guitar. I'm using a AVT100 Marshall but I also have a Line6 Spider 75w. This guitar sounds fantastic in both amps. Although, of course it sounds better with the Marshall. It hums very little and makes very quiet extra noises which is very comfortable.

My style of music is very diverse. I just like to jam. I play metal, punk, trash, rock, classic, blues and every now and then pop. I can play all that on this guitar and it wouldn't sound wrong. in fact, it all sounds great! My first impression of this guitar that it was only made for looks because they are killer! But then I played the thing and totally fell in love. It couldn't be replaced by anything worse than a Les Paul or a SG. I would definitely buy it again if it would be stolen. I have played many guitars but this one is truly one of the best.

Live playing is definitely not a problem for this guitar. It doesn't detune easily and it's very easy to tune. There's no problem with changing from Standard E to drop D. I would count on it on a concert and not bring a backup one. The electronics in it seem like they're going to last a long while. I've had no problem with them. The strap buttons are very tight so I really don't expect them to fall off. The aluminum pick-guard doesn't really allow the pick to scratch it at all so the finish will last a long time.

I bought it used so naturally it had some battle-scars and didn't come with a gig bag or anything. But I spoke to the previous owner and he told me that the set-up had been flawless. He hadn't changed a thing. The strings are close but not too close. perfect. it's not hard to play it fast. The whammy is very good but a bit of it had broken off. It still works like nothing happened and it's not obvious.

It was made in Korea but inspected and set-up in the USA. The SG shape based body is made of Mahogany. It should probably be heavy but the 3rd cutout makes a huge difference. It's very light and the thin Satin Maple neck is divine. It's a 22 fret Floyd Rose Tune-O-Matic. It makes for easy slides and pulloffs. The pick-guard is made of Diamond-patterned aluminum, which is pretty awesome! it has got a Standard 3-way pick-up selector, a volume knob and a tone knob. The pick-ups are very beautiful humbuckers. The strap buttons are positioned in the middle of the unusual 3rd cutout( which is not very comfortable) and behind the neck( which is comfortable). It's got a matte-black finish and the Diamond plate is silver.

GuitarPlayer716
    this&that
    hatecrewtabber wrote: FearBefore wrote: That's uh... pretty? Way to ruin the SG, fellas. Yeah I'm pretty sure my g-310 is better than this guitar.
    Shit son, them's fightin' words
    AcoustiClint420
    FDC
    Hi, If anyone has one of these Epiphone G-400 Goth Xtremes, mine was stolen and I'd like to buy another one. Thanks! Dan
    FDC
    By the way, my email is justonesecret@hotmail.com (just to make it easier).
    pacsabbath25
    god that sg looks weird jsut saying if your gonna buy an epiphone sg buy the sg special lower price not as ugly probably sounds better
    acdc2themax
    It makes it look awesome!!
    sbinlb wrote: i think the pickguard is what makes it look so bad
    acdc2themax
    Wow yur gay. This guitar is awesome yur guitar is probly shit and yur just jealous, cuz u can't afford it cuz yur mommy still works at mc donalds
    bullets aswords wrote: wow, this guitar is gay.
    acdc2themax
    Thank you!! Somebody that agrees with me. I have one too andvthey rock! They're great for anything from light rock, to metallica and acdc. And I even think the look is quite nice.
    AcoustiClint420 wrote: All you nubs that are dissing this guitar have NO clue what they are talking about. Maybe if you learned how to take PROPER care of your equipment it would work and last longer. This guitar is A-MAZE-ING. The Style Rocks and it sounds incredible with the correct method of play. I play anything from classic rock to death metal, reggae and even clissical. proper tuning and amp/peddle settings go A LONG WAY with this puppy!
    acdc2themax
    Haha. No it's not. My friend had a g 310 and it was a freaking piece of crap. It looked really toyish and the pickups were shit. Nice try though bud
    jimithrash
    THATS EXTREME!!!!! ..LY UGLY nah pardon my corniness that axe is br00tality at its most br00tal
    J.J.G.
    cmon who trades a fixed tune-o-matic bridge for that crap? And what about that pickguard? G-A-Y. This is not an SG, period.
    SlipKnoT_M666
    sum 41 fan wrote: that looks like somethin u step on! looks balls to me
    Better than a Fender!!!!! lol
    BRB Devil
    I gotta get one of these guitars. An Epiphone G400 Xtreme, i'm tough enough to own one of these. i'll turn it up full noise then i can't hear you wimps whining no more.
    hatecrewtabber
    FearBefore wrote: That's uh... pretty? Way to ruin the SG, fellas.
    Yeah I'm pretty sure my g-310 is better than this guitar.
    Serjem
    in my opinion the look is not in the "SG limits", so basicly yeah, i dislike it.
    stratdud39
    its ok, the pickgaurd and black combination looks peculiar, maybe if they made the whole thing like the pickguard it wouldnt look as strange.
    liam2309
    GuitarPlayer716 wrote: SlipKnoT_M666 wrote: sum 41 fan wrote: that looks like somethin u step on! looks balls to me Better than a Fender!!!!! lol That's funny that a guy with slipknot in his name is bashing Fender when Jim Root plays Fender and has his own signature model.
    lol
    MrFlibble
    I love SG bodies with the third cutout/double rear horns but they've got even more of a neck-dive problem than regular SGs, and this version is a bolt-on neck. Come on Epi/Gibson, re-release this with a setneck!
    l0rd0ct0d0rk
    Yeah, I think my squier hello kitty stratocaster that I don't have looks way better than that.
    .QOTSA.
    wow a new low, epiphone really manage to lower standards accross the board. Before i get slated I had a pricier one than this, and it was horrible.
    slomoslam
    thank goodness it's called Xtreme, because we certainly don't have enough products that are XTREME! The next deralict that uses the that word in my presence is going to get punched in the face...XTREMELY HARD! ps- by the way, that is one ugly looking piece of shit.
    DrewMeyer
    I think this guitar is crap. I hate metal, mainly because of all the tacky crap that goes along with it. I like sg, but this isn't an sg at all.