G-400 Pro review by Epiphone

Epiphone: G-400 Pro

Purchased from: Guitar Amp & Keyboard (GAK) Brighton U.K.

I set up with my bedroom amp which is an Epi Valve Senior and first played some blues on the "old faithful" Korean Strat then A/B'd the Pro coil tap voices against that on the same amp settings. At this price point it seemed a fair comparison. Output of the classic p/u's compared very favourably in single coil mode, and the centre position had a nice "airy" feel to it. As the coil taps are push/pull on the volume pots you can open up the tonal palette by selecting one or other pickup in humbucking mode. Finally in traditional format the instrument does everything you would expect.

I've played a variety of musical styles over the years since learning guitar in the 60's. Mainly on keyboards I have to say, sometimes alternating guitar and keys at the same gigs. My guitar roots remain with the blues and the British blues boom. If Mr Green isn't God he's certainly Saint Peter. Gear wise I suffer from amp fetish, fielding a baker's dozen of Marshalls, Fenders, Peaveys et all. My first Marshall was a plexi with two 8x10" cabs. Wish I still had that! Nice products Jim, from a nice guy. R.I.P. Now Epiphone SG Pro - think you've got to try one.

The SG Pro has nickel hardware so that's a plus for longevity. The push/pull pots look a little fragile in the up (coil tap) position, but I guess that goes with the territory. I'm pleased with the Epiphone case I purchased, it's what I'd call a "cosmetic" version really looks good. The more practical among us might go for a Hiscox or SKB. Your dog can't eat a Hiscox but he can sure as hell a Gibson. Take my word for it!

The guitar arrived in a flawless deep cherry finish over a pleasing grain. Intonation out of the box was spot on, and the action very acceptable. My take on guitar action is "How low can you go" so I'll probably try to take it down. If there is a criticism it's that the frets are a little "raspy" on string bends, but that will probably play in. If not, nothing that a fret dress wouldn't cure.

I am reviewing this guitar on the first day of ownership, but there again they are pretty new, certainly in Europe, so my impressions may be of value to potential buyers, and especially lefties. In honesty the left hander's choices are severely limited so anything different is a breath of fresh air. I ordered it yesterday from G.A.K and it arrived together with its case (an extra) at 9.30 so no problems there. I have coveted a cherry SG since I was in my teens, and this the first truly left handed one acquired. I think the basic SG layout is familiar to most of us, the new feature was the COIL TAPS.

FXPenulla
    Just got this baby and I can't stop thinking about it. It was love at first sight! LOL. Anyway please check out my demo. Thanks!
    FXPenulla
    It is an awesome guitar, has everything I am looking for and it won't break the bank. I'll be posting a review of this badass pretty soon, and I'll upload a video demo as well.
    rglos
    I bought mine in Nov. 2012, in black version, made in Indonesia. I switched to it from Dean Evo XM, so as you can imagine I was pleasantly suprised by the finish. It was, and still is a beautiful guitar. The only thing which is "weak" at the first sight is the pickguard - it simply could be more "finished" on the edges. I took it to a luthier, who: 1. levelled the frets, as it turned out that the guitar had a slightly twisted neck 2. regulated the output on the pickups, as the magnets were picking unevenly 3. lowered already low action. Total investment was: 300 USD for guitar (second hand, from a guy who bought it for his daugher and simply missed the idea that she wasn't interested in playing ) and 150 USD for the service of the luthier. It is a sweet guitar. One thing though, when you are playing in middle position (both pups) the volume pots work like this: you turn either one to 0 and there is no sound from the other pup. The luthier was a bit surprised when he saw this, but I decided to invest in it later. But maybe I don't grasp the idea and it is as it should be . All in all - after this lenghty post: it is a good guitar for a beginner, for a bedroom-player like me - probably the last one I bought. Plays cool, looks even cooler, coil tap is a nice touch. If you bought a new one - take it to a luthier, mine explained that it is a normal thing for this price range that the guitar needs a correction here and there.
    faneclub
    Hi brandonseena - my case was the epiphone dedicated SG model currently listed at 69 GBP. A more realistic deal price would be £40, but Gibson/Epiphone have spent a great deal of energy whipping their authorised distributors into line on overt competition. ( A real can of worms in a competitive world ) The Gibson SGJ 2013 models come with a gig bag, and some will upgrade to a hard case, there might be an opportunity there. There again you might just buy an SGJ - US made with 490R/T. Keep me posted!
    fistofTHEAXIS
    Does it have a coil tap or a coil split? I know it says coil tap in the review but people use them both interchangeably while actually they're two different things.
    faneclub
    Hi - thanks for the input. The Epi pickups are 4 wire, which means that the inner or outer coils can be used in single coil mode. Obviously to make full use of this feature a more sophisticated switching arrangement is necessary. The Freeway 6 position switch can accomplish this without the need for push/pull pots. Wiring diagrams are included, and I actually purchased mine for a 3 pickup Custom. In this configuration (all humbucking) the options are bridge, bridge + neck, neck, bridge + middle, bridge + middle + neck, middle + neck. A big improvement in flexibility I think you might agree.
    faneclub
    Hi, thanks for posting. Your "volume problem" is an inevitable result of pure electronics. Taking one pot to zero when in parallel negates the other. If you desired to hear nothing from one p/u then why not simply switch it out? I confess to being a tad disappointed in your luthier - does he specialise in acoustics?
    brandonseenat
    hello, what is the casing that you got with it?? the model, because i want one that is snug fit! btw the review was very well done, best i've seen so far on the g 400 pro