G-400 Pro review by Epiphone

Epiphone: G-400 Pro

Purchased from: Crescendo Audio and Music Store

***DISCLAIMER*** This review is BASED ON THE GUITAR'S PERFORMANCE COMPARED TO OTHER GUITARS IN ITS PRICE RANGE ($400-$450) here in the Philippines and so please no violent reactions why I rated this guitar between 9-10.

The guitar was made in Indonesia, it has 22 frets and a glued in slim taper neck on a 25. 5" scale. Both neck and body are made out of mahogany, it has trapezoidal inlays on a rosewood fretboard. It has a transparent cherry finish. It has a tune-o-matic bridge with passive humbuckers. Two tone knobs and two volume knobs. It has the coil tap feature. It has Wilkinson tuners. It came in a box with an allen wrench for adjusting the neck a manual, an Epiphone sticker and a cool poster.

My band's focus is mainly writing original material, but my influences as a guitarist cover almost all sub genres of rock. I do a little bit of everything (from bluesy licks of SRV, Hendrix, and Mayer on the neck pup. Some Dimebag and Hammett licks thanks to Andy James! Funk rock riffing of Morello and Frusciante on the bridge pup. Some psychedelic effects from Einziger and Lopez, and even some Mars and Mraz). But I am telling you, I am no virtuoso, just a random Joe, who loves playing with his guitar-o! Anyway the guitar seems to handle all the genres I play. The sound of the guitar coil tapped didn't really impress me but it gives the guitar some variety.

The guitar was set up pretty well, the action was okay but I lowered it a little bit. The pick ups were a little low but its okay. You don't need no rocket science to adjust them. I did not see any flaws on the guitar. The strings were I believe a gauge 10 (I use gauge 8 most of the time) but I didn't ask what brand it is (probably Gibson strings). There were no rust, dings, or any loose parts when I got it out of the box. The hardware was okay as well. The pick up selector is working. All volume and tone knobs work as well as the coil tap feature. The transparent cherry finish is amazing!

I got this less than a week ago so I haven't gigged with it yet, but I never brought any back-up guitar whenever I get the chance to gig (I have faith in my guitars, LOL). I don't have my own ride which is mainly my reason for not bringing any back up and I have to carry a 12x27 pedal board as well! I own an Epiphone G-310 which is now in the box where the G-400 Pro came in. The strap buttons seem sturdy. It has Wilkinson tuners so I expect them to last. I am extra careful with it since its still pretty new so I can't judge how long the finish will last but I'll get an Epi hard case for this pretty soon to prolong the life of this guitar.

It fits my style of playing. I learned to play acoustic guitar when I was 14, and played with bands in high school and college, but I didn't have my own electric guitar and I just used guitars from friends from other bands during jam sessions and gigs. I've never been really been serious about it until I got my first electric guitar which was an Ibanez GAX30 (which I sold last year after I got my Epiphone G-310). Since then I have been playing at least an hour every day after work. I play my guitars in this set up (in order): Guitar - Korg Pitchblack - Morley Power Wah - EHX Little Big Muff - DigiTech Death Metal - Boston Noise Gate - Dano Fish n Chips EQ - Mooer Pitch Box - VS Garagetone Phaser - VS Garagetone Tremolo - Boss CE5 - Ibanez DE7 - Boston M15 Amplifier. If it gets stolen, well I would beat up that dude t('_'t). I would probably be getting whatever is the cheapest Gibson SG model, or an Epiphone Dot, or an Epiphone 1958 Korina Flying V Antique, or an Epiphone TV Silver Thunderbird IV, or an LTD Phoenix 200. I compared it to a Epi Les Paul Special II, Epi SG Special, Epi Les Paul 100, Epi Les Paul Studio and entry level Charvel guitars, and some Hamer X Series guitars. I chose this because it is the closest thing to a Gibson SG, the sound fits my style musically. It is a very good guitar for intermediate players, it is absolutely a good back up if you own a Gibson SG. I just wish it came with a Bigsby, which will be a mod I will be doing in the near future, or an Epi hard case. Overall, I would recommend this to a friend/bandmate looking for a guitar in the $400-$450 range here in the Philippines. Please check my video demos for my guitar!

FXPenulla
    Salamat brad! paborito ko talaga sg shape, plano ko rin bumili ng g400 custom pag malaki nakuhang bonus.. haha. Post ka rin video mo tol!