Goth 1958 Explorer review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Goth 1958 Explorer

The sound is Great, I like to play abit of everything. The guitar can pull off a few styles well. I play it through a Marshall MG-15CDR an for what it is it does a cracking job. Play alot of Motley Crue, Steel Panther, Ozzy an Iron Maiden an down that path. The pick ups (EMG 81-85) also sound good an clear on the clean channel. I have Ernie Ball hybrid slinky 9-46 on it at the moment. In standard E the guitar has a real snap an crack to the tone that sounds so cool. In step down it gives a nice roar an deep sound.

It has a killer tone an it works for my style very well. If it was stolen I would buy something else. Don't get me wrong its a nice guitar but it looks nicer than it is. The fact that it has neck dive puts me off. My favorite feature is the paint an the Pick ups. I wish it had a Floyd Rose an Epiphone had concentrated on balancing the guitar out even.Nothing more annoying than NECK DIVE.

I haven't used it for any gigs yet, I would take it but probably as a back up. It looks cool but to much hastle. The paint looks like it will keep its texture but only time will tell. The hardware looks solid an could take a beating. The nut is plastic an started to wear down abit, would need replaying in probably a year or so. Epiphone could have done a better job on it.

The guitar has neck dive, an can be quite a pain standing up. I had to adjust the strap an use my picking hand to hold the guitar up. But if you make the strap shorter an use your wrist to hold it then place your picking hand on the bridge it seams to do the trick, but it sort of twists the fret board up that takes some getting used to. It is easy to play sitting down no drama with that. I had to lower the bridge when I got it. It was like doing hurdals. But sure enough it sorted it out an the action is nice on it. The front strap holder fell out of its place an had to be refitted using wood glue an a wider screw. Bit annoying but worth checking if you are going to get one.

It features a blank fret board with a XII on the 12th fret, That looks cool. Took me some getting used to using the dots on the side of the neck. The paint job is killer. It's a MATT BLACK it looks way better in person than it does in any pictures but finger prints an smudges show up easily on it. I don't know what the original pick ups sounded like. When I got it, it had EMG's 81 in the neck an 85 in the bridge an I would say they are worth every penny if your thinking about getting them.

Akula KO
    DrCOOL wrote: Great guitar. Worthless reviews. You cannot base a review of the instrument on simply metal music.
    Yes you can. A person reviewing this will obviously review it in their context. If they play Metal and that is their style they will judge it based on that. I play metal. I don't give a damn if this thing pulls of blues.
    Akula KO
    Zan595 wrote: "Yeah, this sounds great through my Line 6 Spider III 30 watt amp..." The problem with this, is that nothing sounds good through a Line 6 Spider. Every time I see this it completely dis-credits the review for me.
    Not everyone can afford top-tier amps. Sometimes we must make do with what cash we've got and having an amp is better than having no amp so don't be so damn harsh.
    iannii
    when i first got that guitar i didn`t like it because of the pickups, then almost half a year later i bought emg 81x, thats a great improvement now i can play amon amarth with clear tones.
    symbolofmylife
    It's an ok guitar...not fantastic, not crap either...a cheap solution for those looking to have an extreme shape at a good price. The guitar is a bit off balance with the neck diving. Pups arent to great either, but I am guessing some will like it. Bought one. Sold it two weeks later.