Goth 1958 Flying V review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Goth 1958 Flying V

I was leary on the Epiphone USA pickups at first but they really blast out that signature Wayne Static sound. I use this to play everything from Journey to Killswitch Engage and I always get compliments on how good it sounds. The three way selector allows you to access some surprising warmth from the neck position. When choosing to access both pickups, you can almost get an acoustic sound when played clean but yet plays well with blues distortion.

Overall this guitar beats some of the more expensive ones I've played. It is built to be a mteal machine but can be used universally. You get sweet clean tones to the dirtiest distortion you can imagine. Pinch and natural harmonics really sing out of this also. I am also a big fan of the blank fret board. Of course, the dots on the top side of the neck but the blank face makes it look like you know your way around the fret board even if you really don't.

Guitar seems to be holding its own. I always carry several guitars for different tunings (Eb, Open G, D [all 6 down a whole step] and Standard E) but if my band were to play in one tuning this would last a whole show and then some. I have played this for hours on end and then it rode a bumpy ride to gigs without going out of tune. The strap buttons seem pretty solid but we all know that over time they come loose. Strap-locks would be ideal but not necessary.

One thing that surprised me was that I changed the strings on it as soon as I got home to the new DR Black Beauties (10-46). Yes I know black strings on a black guitar seems cheesy in principal but looks awesome. There are no flaws noticible with the paint or hardware.

This is actually the Wayne Static Signature Gothic Flying V. It is a flat black finish w/Epiphone USA pickups. It has Grover Tuners and a string-thru body. The best feature is actually what it lacks which is the tone knob. The only knob is a volume knob so you can go from lower rhythm to cranked out leads. If I want to mess with the tone I go to my amp not my guitar. The always cool feature though is the Static-X symbol on the head and his miniature bust on the reverse side of the head.