Goth 1958 Flying V review by Epiphone

• Reviewer's score: 2.4 Junky
Epiphone: Goth 1958 Flying V

Purchased from: Music Unlimited

My style is mixed. I'm more of a grunge/hard rock/light metal player, I'm mainly influenced by guitarists like Mark Tremonti (Alter Bridge, ex-Creed) and to a smaller extent Matt Heafy (Trivium.) I'll play anything from Acoustic stuff like Dave Matthews, to Blues like Stevie Ray Vaughan, to Hard Rock like Godsmack, Thrash like Metallica or Megadeth, or even Heavy Metal like Children Of Bodom. Anything as long as I like the sound, the guitar is coherent and not entirely simple like Kurt Cobain's riffs (I hate HIM.) To end the digression, this guitar is pretty good for all styles, surprisingly. It's got a thick neck which gives it a nice bluesy crunch to almost everything you play on it which sounds nice. It works great in Standard tuning, but when I start to drop it, the sound quality degrades along with my dignity. I bought this thing for looks, not sound; BIG mistake on my part. As soon as you start to tune down (EVEN TO JUST DROP D) you get a horrid fret buzz and you need to re-adjust the bridge, the buzz on the low E is tolerable, but it gets annoying. But it does get the job done, just not to the extent that I need being more talented now than I once was. Again, this is a great starter guitar, but do not waste your money on it if you are looking for an upgrade. The own a Hot Head pedal and a Peavey Rage 158 amp. The pedal is the best thing in my current arsenal; however money is being saved for a nice Mesa Roadster and PRS Singlecut, so for the time being, the Hot Head is the best. The Hot Head and this guitar were MADE for each other, the sound that these two make EVEN with my sh*t box amp is pretty impressive for a less than $600 rig.

I've already gone over just about everything there is to know. I've been playing for about 4 years now, I've owned this thing for longer though. I wished I hadn't bought this product honestly, just because I could've gotten something better for around the same price, like a PRS SE Tremonti or something. This guitar is 10x better than a Squire or any Jay Tursor though. If it were lost or stolen I'd be pissed only because I'd have nothing to play until I bought my Singlecut. I love the crunch I can get with this guitar and my "mini-rig," but I hate everything else. Everything else. I wish this guitar had tuning locks a completely different tuning system and bridge, and maybe a whammy bar, drop D switch, or kill switch would have made this more enjoyable and worth while.

Live playing? I would be embarrassed. The hard ware is already dead, the strap stays on surprisingly, however it can take a beating. This guitar is very sturdy aside from what I had said. The finish is great the body is near impenetrable it's just the electronics that on this machine.

The action was horrible! The worst ever! Me and my friend worked on this thing for hours to try and make it sound presentable and when we did it only improved it a little. Again, if you don't know much about guitar and you want something, get this but If that's not your case however, than don't even look at it. The pickups were poorly adjusted, honestly it seemed as if they rushed this thing on the market or they just didn't care. The neck and truss rod were perfect though, you've already read about the bridge as far as flaws I pretty much named them all, except for that they strung the low E, A, and D strings all wrong, the action was too high, there is bad fret buzz, and the pickups work when they feel like it.

It's the "half-ass V", if you will. The price was decent, but I bought it back when I had no guitar knowledge. I bought it back in 2001-2 and I believe it was made in 2001, so it was fairly new, and it is pure USA made. It has 22 frets and a nice solid mahogany neck and body. The body is flat-black and it has an ebony fretboard with side markers and an 'XII' inlay at the 12th fret. It's got dual humbuckers and black chrome hardware. The humbuckers aren't the best and they tend to not work as well as they once did, but when they did they worked great. There were no tuning locks, or floyd rose, or any other really 'fun' add-ons on this piece but it's great as a starting guitar. It's got a string through body I believe and a sh*tty bridge which got rusty in less than the first year I owned it.