Goth 1958 Flying V review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Goth 1958 Flying V

Purchased from: ebay

The sound of the original pickups through my Crate XT120 were decent; the neck pickup is great for soloing and the bridge has a decent output, but the guitar sounded much better with EMG's. My rating is based on the original pickups and wiring. This guitar sounds and looks great especially for metal!

Overall this is a pretty sweet looking guitar and pretty reliable, after putting EMG's and straplocks on it and adjsuting the neck. If you don't know how to do that stuff I wouldn't recommend it but overall for a mahogany body with set neck, ebony fretboard and nice inlay it's a pretty good value. If it were lost or stolen I'd probably replace it with a Goth Explorer instead.

I've used this guitar Live with no problem and you can depend on it. I'd trust it even more now with the EMG's I put in, but get some strap locks because the strap tends to slip off the top strap button. the finish like I said seems like it will get glossy or wear off after awhile if you don't wipe it down after you play.

Well I'm not sure how the action was from the factory since I bought it used but I did have to adjust the truss rod in the neck. Once I did that I was able to set the action really low with minimal to no buzzing. The finish is great the EMG's look like they were made for this guitar since they are basically the same color. The only thing is you have to wipe down the guitar after you play or else the satin finish will start looking glossy from the oil in your hands and arm. Ratings based on how I recieved the guitar (action, neck, finish).

I bought this guitar used on ebay. It has 22 frets on an ebony fretboard. The fretboard is blank with the exception of a XII at the twelvth fret. The body is mahogany with a set mahogany neck. The paint is satin black. I replaced the pickups with EMGs 81/60. The bridge is Tune-O-Matic with no stop bar and it is string-thru. Each pickup has a master volume and there is one master tone. All hardware is black and the tuners are black grover's non-locking.

RCA1186
    uvq wrote: well its still an epiphone so it sucks.
    ladies and gentlemen we have a moron
    NitroCam
    I luv this guitar... i just brought 1 with a 50W Peavy amp and its just awsome... its the greatest value for money guitar evr!!!
    Vermin171
    "puto_rodas: floyd rose tremolo, tune-o-matic, string thru body... can anyone explain to me how different is the same guitar in the seven reviews?! There are three very similar versions of this guitar. The standard Gothic Flying V which is just string through body with a tune 'o' matic bridge. There's the version with a licensed Floyd Rose tremolo on it. There's also a Wayne Static signature Flying V which is string through body but has Wayne's artwork on the headstock instead of the Epiphone logo. They all have the same, matte black finish and look almost identical from a distance.
    livemit
    this can be a truly fantastic guitar with a couple of customizations. i have this guitar for 4 years now and with the addition of seymour duncan pickups as well as new volume and tone pots it is truly great
    speedforhire
    This is not a "Static" sig model as one posted here. Truly a good guitar for it's price!
    jamesdjharrod
    I know! I bought a Gibson V for just under a grand, while my cousin in the states got the upgrade for less.
    squierstratdave
    ibanezguitarkid wrote: Korzack wrote: Black strings? Interesting idea, might do that when I get a V. Been looking at a Popa Chubby singiature guitar (dark natural with a cherry pickguard & P-90 pickups in the '58 style), played that in a music store & t'is pretty damn neat. Just wish everyone didn;t rape the brits so much for price (frickin' 459!) don't feel bad, all companys rape us left handed people too.
    go for the henrix look, up side down right handed guitar, and yeah us brits get ripped off
    ibanezguitarkid
    don't feel bad, all companys rape us left handed people too.
    bobwentpop
    It was in my local music shop for 350 1 and a half years ago. It was reduced a lot because they couldn't sell it. I was looking for my first electric guitar and I loved it, but in the end I decided to go for the more conventional Les Paul Standard (Epiphone). I don't regret my decision... but now I want a V! I think I'd go for the Jackson RX10D (?) though.
    richard_edwards
    haha the second to last review is the worst review ive ever read. he thought his guitar was made in 1958. and 'carbon guitar'? what the hell is that? and i wouldnt touch this guitar with a bargepole. its horrid. id choose an iceman over it any day. normal shapes. please.
    hvymtl939
    I don't know what the guy was talking about with the floyd rose, the only gibson/epiphine style v with a floyd that i know of is the new Zakk Wylde $4000 signature. The pictures I've seem of this model show it to have a tune-o-matic bridge with "strings through the body" rather than stopbar construction.
    preciousability
    I have a tuning problem with my normal gold finished 1958 model Epiphone Korina Flying V, any suggestions?
    |\puto_rodas/|
    floyd rose tremolo, tune-o-matic, string thru body... can anyone explain to me how different is the same guitar in the seven reviews?! xP
    evilmetalboy
    you're all better off with an ESP-LTD V-500. it will work wonders for your tone, and it looks cooler.