Goth 1958 Flying V review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Goth 1958 Flying V

Purchased from: Ebay

This guitar suits my style(Extreme Metal: Death metal grindcore) well but I have played on a BCrich Eagle one which I thought suited this style better. I am using a Line6 Spider 4 at the moment and i play through a Boss MetalCore distortion pedal. The 1st thing i noticed about the sound was the extremely low output on the pickups (mainly the neck), they are the only real dissapointment for me. Clean or a little overdriven they arnt too bad, but for my style they just arnt powerful enough! Clean the neck pickup is rich and bassy, the bridge is Twangy and bluesy. When you use a bit of Drive you can get a Rumbling crunchy sound from the neck, and the bridge has a nice fuzzy blues tone. When you crank the distortion up the neck still has a bad output and even with the pedal it is still weak, however it is a good sound for playing most slipknot stuff as it is quite bassy. The bridge is much better, although the output is still moderate it can sound some nice harmonics and it works ok for fast shred playing (but the higher notes are still to weak).

As forementioned i play extreme metal and this guitar suits me really well as the fret acess is very good and the neck is fast. It looks awesome and will last as long as you could want! I have been playing bout 2 years now and I own 3 guitars (a cheap Encore, an old Les Paul Copy and the v) and the v is by far the best. I wish I had known how bad the pickups were as I probaly would have got a bc rich instead, but this guitar looks so uniqe and I have never seen another one! I love the alternative look and the super fast neck but the pickups really are very bad and my advice to you is if you buy this guitar, stick a Seymour Duncan dimebucker or an EMG hz in it immediatly! I compared this to similar priced BCrichs and Ibanez and although they are both great guitars I chose this beacuse of the looks and fret acsses. I wish Epiphone would do a 24 fret neck thru one with active pickups, but it would pust the price up too much. If this was lost or stolen I would be pissed as it has sentimental value but I would probaly buy a cheap Ibanez instead (even though I would look exactly the same as everyone else!) ;)

Considering its almost 7 years old and its in nearly perfect condition, I would say there are no reliability problems! The hardware has lasted really well ecept that the nut is starting to show signs of wear. It has been droped a few times (Cause= strap buttons!) but has never let me down, the finish is also still very good and will definatly last!

I can't comment as I brought the guitar used but when I got it the previous owner had it set up really badly... the action was way too low as there was a load of fret buzz and the pickups were too low as well. However once I adjusted it and gave it a once over all was good (I will say that it was very easy to adjust everything the guitar is easy-maintanence). All the factory-based things were very good (Finish, electronics, tuners, etc.)so I would say the guitar was just badly set up by the previous owner! I'll give a 10 beacuse all the factory stuff was perfect.

My guitar was made in Unsung, Korea in March 2003. Mine is the string thru 'whale tail' version with 22 regular frets with a rosewood fingerboard. The neck is thin and very fast and fret acess is very good both low and high (you can do open string bends without any trouble), however the it is set neck which is really bad for sustain. The body and neck is made of mahogany and is painted satin black, and the black chrome hardwere goes well with this scheme. The tuners are Grover Rotomatics and they are very solid and are my personal favourote tuners. It has passive electronics and 2 Open Coil versions of the Alnico Classic humbuckers (Bridge and Neck). The controls are: 3 Way pickup selector, Master Tone and a seperate volume for each pickup. Also my strap kept coming off so i replaced the strap buttons.

NitroCam
    There is differant types and versions mine is a string thru with the XII on the 12th fret, but there is one with a floyed and Celtic cross inlays!
    |\puto_rodas/| wrote: floyd rose tremolo, tune-o-matic, string thru body... can anyone explain to me how different is the same guitar in the seven reviews?! xP
    WITH EBAY!!!
    edwardthegreat5 wrote: How did all these people pay 0 dollars?
    maineac
    Dude, if you're still lookin, check out this new one listed on ebay: Item number:320622470247
    GibsonFlyinJosh wrote: Does any one know where to get one online in the usa or some where near the south-east? Im willing to pay $500
    NitroCam
    downNOLArules wrote: does not have a trem.
    no but u can get one with if u want
    thanielvsnate
    im only on this review because they dont have a review for the korina flying v, so anybody thats played this guitar and the korina think they are both good? compared to this one how does the korina sound? I MUST KNOW because my options are between gibson melody maker, epiphone wildkat hollowbody, epiphone tom delonge signature semi-hollow, epiphone emperor swingster, the korina, the epiphone G400 custom, the paul reed smith michael alderfeldt signature, and the michael kelly patriot decree, but i dont know which one is better. i like smooth sounding stuff, but i also like to be able to switch it up and have that classic 70s 80s and 90s sound. SOMEBODY HELP ME OUT.
    cftherandom
    If anyone wants one of these I have one that I've been looking to sell for a while.
    burstcasino
    Seems like the Korina Flying V had cheap kluson green knob tuners. I don't like those at all. My 58' Goth V string thru the body has got black Grovers which work fine. I paid a buck fifty US for mine and it rocks my Marshall. Sounds better for hard rock/metal tan my CS 58 Les Paul. Really no shit. Everything works fine, love the bridge pickup and the neck is fine but could be louder and warmer. I really don't see any need to fix what's not broken.