Goth G-400 review by Epiphone

• Reviewer's score: 6.8 Neat
Epiphone: Goth G-400

I'd rate this guitar as pureley average, I hate to say. My musical style is all over the place, I enjoy playing softer new RHCP stuff to punk, such as the Living End and Sex Pistols, to 80's metal like Iron Maiden, even a bit of Hendrix. I don't think anyone can expect one guitar to put out enough different sounds to cover that entire range. The guitar does a pretty good job of covering the range of music I play, it gives me a good, not great sound, on most things, with the exception being more Vintage sounds like Hendrix. Also, the two humbucker approach does not give the versatility of a Strat style guitar, with three pickups and a 5 way selector, which is a bit of a dissapointment. Oh yeah I use the guitar with a 30 watt Marshall amp, a Boss od/distortion pedal and a DigiTech RP300A (I think) pedal. The thing that really brings the sound down, is not the pickups, strings, frets or anything, but the width of the neck and the finish on the neck. The neck is a bit too thick for my liking, and the finish is prolematic when playing for extended periods of time (an hour plus).

I've been playing for about a year and a half now, like I mentioned above I like to play a lot of different types of music. If my guitar was lost/stolen/broken beyond repair, and I was on the same budget, around $400, I would probably buy a 2 SC 1 HUM Standard Strat. I am starting to like the Strat more and more and half wish I would have bought one. Comparing it directly to a Mex Standard Strat, I think that the Strat is the better choice, but its just my opinion, so dont go buy a guitar based on this. One thing I wish my guitar had, a single coil between the humbuckers and a 5 way pickup selector. Overall, the Epiphone G-400 is by no means a bad guitar, theres defintley some good things about it, its just I think that for the money I spent I could have found something better.

I just started a band, so we dont play gigs yet, and im sure the guitar will stand up durability wise, im just not sure if I want to play it on stage, like I mentioned above, the neck is a bit iffy. A few of the tuning pegs seem like they might break down the road, but for now I think all the hardware will say in place.

The guitar came in fine condition, nothing broken or worn out, the pickups were alright too. No problems in construction that I could pick up.

First off, my guitar is a REGULAR G-400, not a Custom or Goth, although there was no option for it. I didnt choose to put this under custom because im pretty sure the custom has 3 humbuckers. Now to the review. I bought my Black G-400 (basically an Epiphone SG) new, and im pretty sure it was made in 2002, I bought it in early 2003. It has 22 frets, and im not really sure where it was made. Its got 2 humbuckers that sound pretty decent, although not the best, standard Gibson 3 way selector with a volume/tone for each pickup. Standard Epiphone tuners, im pretty sure its made of mohagany, with a rosewood fretboard, like just about all SG's, it doesent have a tremlo bar. Also like most Gibson/Epiphones, its got the thick neck, and the neck has a finsh on it, which tends to get annoying.