Goth Les Paul Studio review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Goth Les Paul Studio

Purchased from: Musician's Friend

The sound is the real reason I've always been drawn to Les Pauls, and this one doesn't disappoint at all. It's got sustain for days, and the open coil Alnico V Classic humbuckers really scream - so much so that I've had a pro touring musician offer to trade me a limited edition Mollenhauer LP Master Class for it. Yes. He liked the sound of my $260 guitar so much he was willing to trade it for a $3000 guitar. So do I, to be honest.

This is an incredibly versatile guitar, and honestly worth WAY more than the $300-350 you'd pay for one Brand New. It's honestly more like a $800-1000 guitar, and for rock/blues sounds as good as or better than guitars costing 10 times as much. If you're considering one, you'd be foolish not to buy it.

The only gripe I have with the guitar is the tuners. They don't hold tune as well as I'd like, but that's a fairly easy upgrade, and a set of Sperzel locking tuners will make their way onto this axe at some point. In the meantime, it's mainly a studio guitar, while my Mollenhauer SST Klassik and Washburn D10S go to gigs with me.

Setup from the factory is not the best, as one can imagine. The action and intonation needed some adjustment, and a new set of strings was mandatory. (Solved with a setup and a set of Cryo Blues.) Other than that, the fit and finish is surprisingly free of flaws for a guitar that typically retails for $300-350.

I last picked up a guitar in 1989, and I had wanted a Les Paul from the age of 13. The looks and the price of this particular model caught my eye. I originally ordered it from Musician's Friend, but the first one arrived with a cracked neck. MF upgraded me to a brand spanking new model for no extra charge, and paid the shipping both ways! It's got the Les Paul feel, the Les Paul look and the Les Paul sound. Great finish (careful with Standard guitar stands though, the foam rubber will damage the finish) and appointments on this thing. I get all kinds of comments on its menacing good looks. Flat black, dark rosewood fretboard with a Roman numeral XII at the 12th fret, Celtic cross on the headstock and all black chrome hardware. Simple and sexy.

ChunkyLoverYYZ
    soter79
    I bought this guitar for 130 euros second hand. The magnets were changed with Ibanez, i don't know the exact model. But i like very much the style of this guitar and i'm immerged to her blackness.
    goblin_king14
    I have the goth flying V. I was hoping to find somebody who's played both and might be able to tell me if the feel and sound of my V is any indication of what I might be in for if I bought the les paul variety. I've played other les pauls, and I'm not generally impressed with the feel of them, but I love my V, and I have played at least one epi les paul that I like the feel of. Basically I'm wondering if the goth series has its own feel or if my V feels like the 1958 Vs they still sell or if the goth les paul will feel like the current models of les paul studio.
    Spremuta
    I bought last summer for 230.. i love the sound of my blacky My teacher said is a good guitar too for this price (he's got an american strato and a musicman). I bought it with a little Marshall MG15CDR, the overdrive is so fun. Rock songs plays very well
    Rautio
    ChunkyLoverYYZ wrote: Regarding the tuning... Mine also has trouble staying in tune, so I asked for a little help from a couple of guitar techs. The response from both was virtually the same: Tuning issues can be any number of things. Generally its how the strings are installed that creates these issues. There are a few right ways of putting on strings and hundreds of wrong ways. It may also need a setup. I've yet to take it in, but since I bought it used, I am hoping the strings are old and/or put on poorly.
    Epiphones often have tuning issues because they have POOR PLASTIC NUTS. Solve the problem: 1) bad strings - put new ones 2) rub some pencil graphite on the nut's string-gaps. Other things to try at your expense: a) learn a better stringing method, b) stretch strings properly, c) change guitar hardware.
    Dark_Angel_No9
    hey guys, i'm going to buy this one, and i'm thinkin to change the humbuckers with emg 81 and emg 85 or 60. the question is which of 85 and 60 is better?