Goth Les Paul Studio review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Goth Les Paul Studio

Price paid: C$ 550

Purchased from: Local Musician

I play everything from the beatles to NILE to Racer X(to an extent) and this guitar's distorted tone is sexy, espcially in the treble position. I play it though a Crate Quadradrive 60w with a Vox Wah and the ocassional Boss MT-2 for some super distortion. The pickups are pretty quiet. The clean sound is pretty good as well, not perfect but decent. I rarely use it clean anyway when I'm playing with the band.

For the most part I'm playing 80s thrash, and newer heavy metal. It sounds awesome, the note clarity is suprisingly good for its price range. But even the softer stuff I play through this baby sounds great. This was my first axe so have been playing religiously for six years. My other guitars are a peavy Raptor that I got for free and an epi SG Special that I bought for $100 that had a set of EMGs in. (the SG was promptly destroyed) if this guitar was lost or stolen, somone would die. And I would get a new one for sure, unless I had the money for a custom axe of course.

This guitar is a rock. I have bashed the headstock of a cymbal stand while playing and it stayed in tune. I'm not sure about the original strap buttons, when I bought it I already had a set of black Schaller strap locks so I have used them since day one. I have played a few house partys with this guitar alone and have only ever had amp problems. I would play this without a back up as long as I had an extra set of strings.

when I bought the guitar the guy had it already set up to a fairly low action, the only issues I have ever had with the hardware was from me messing with it. I have never had to adjust the pickups. The finish is solid, I have given it a few dings and dents through the years but nothing critical.

This guitar was made in 00-02 I believe, made in china I think. I bought it in 04. Its a set mahogany neck and body. Rosewood fretboard. The carved top makes a big difference from epi's other mid-range LPs. The satin black finish is AWESOME! I play with a wrist band on so the area where I rest my arm has slowly been buffed to a nice Shine witch I think makes it look even better. Its the Standard Tune-O-Matic bridge with grover tuners all done in chrome black. It has two alnico v humbuckers and a 2 tone 2 volume with a three way selector, witch I like since I use a lot of stuttery killswitch type of sounds in my playing.