Goth Les Paul Studio review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Goth Les Paul Studio

Purchased from: Vista Pawn

This guitar was made in China but crafted in the USA. It is 24.75" guitar with 22 jumbo frets with a rosewood neck. There are no inlays on the guitar neck (except for the top), there is a roman numeral 12 on the guitar. It weighs approximately 8.4 pounds. It is a solid top guitar that has a mahogany body. It has a solid finish and the color on the guitar is pitch black. It is equipped with a Tune-o-Matic bridge. This guitar has a three way toggle, volume knobs for the two humbucker pickups, a kill switch. This guitar comes with no accessories of any kind. The only con I have is that it comes with no whammy bar, but that is a very small nitpick for a guitar this great.

This guitar is probably the most diverse guitar I have owned. I play classic rock like Rolling Stones and Led Zeppelin, and it is great for that. This guitar really shines if you want to play stuff like MetallicaGuns N' Roses, or anything like that. I use a Line 6 Spider IV 15 amp with this guitar, also I do not own any pedals, and it sounds absolutely amazing. I would say when play very heavy stuff like Slipknot, it is quite noisy, then again I am only a beginner. Very nice sound overall, just wish it was a bit quieter.

This guitar seems like it was manufactured with care at the factory, although the nut that hold the cord in fell off, it looked like it was very rusty. I would say that the pickups on the guitar are adjusted very well, they roar on this guitar, if you play metal, it is an amazing guitar. The bridge on the guitar is adjusted very well and it matches with the top very nicely. From restring and cleaning this guitar, there seems to be no flaws, I have had no problems with this guitar so far, except for the nut problem.

This guitar is very durable, it tumbled off my bed unfortunately, and there was no dent or scratch on it. The hardware seems like it will last for a very long time, I have had no issues with the hardware yet, so, so far so good (I have owned this guitar for about 4 months). The strap buttons are very well secure and will definitely hold the strap, although I felt that the bottom strap button is kind of big, because the strap I use had to be fitted tightly in to the bottom button. I can definitely rely on this guitar, I would use this guitar on a gig without a backup. The finish on this guitar is very good, I have played this guitar a lot in the time I have owned it and the finish seems to be still in great condition. Definitely a reliable guitar and one that will last a very long time.

I fell in love with this guitar when I first played it at the pawn shop. Since I play anything from classic rock to heavy metal, this guitar fits that margin very nicely. I have been play seriously for only a couple of months and this guitar is great for a beginner. I have owned a Squire Stratocaster and a Rogue Rocketeer, and both of those guitars I did not get along with, but this guitar is very nice. Since I have owned some light guitars in the past, the weight was a it of an issue, but I have gotten use to the weight since I have been playing it. The one and only con I have is that this guitar comes with no whammy bar, but I bet I can equip one or have a professional do it. Overall, if you are a beginner or an expert, I highly recommend getting this guitar, I see it being with me for a very long time.

nimir.anu.666.c
    James, the dot inlays are not the Goth. The ONLY Inlay the Goth has is the 12th Fret - the XII (Roman Numeral for 12, of course)- plus has Fret number Indicating dots along the top edge of the Neck as a visual guide (most guitars will indicate Frets 3,5,7,9,12,15,17,19&21. Some 'Vintage' Gtrs start their Inlays @ Fret 1, so, 1,3,5,7,9,12,15,17,19&21. 24 Fret axes mark the 24th Fret on ALL 24 Fret makes/models, to my knowledge). Tuning Issues? : Try a fresh set of strings, and check/adjust as necessary the 'Intonation' (meaning, when tuned to E Standard, or D, or whatever you normally tune to most often, the 12th Fret will also Indicate E, or D, or whatever, as with the 24th Fret on a 24 Fret model. It should also be the same note, only 2 whole Octaves Higher in pitch, but the same note). ALWAYS when restringing your axe, tug the strings UP & Away from the Fretboard and jiggle them to stretch them a little bit & retune UP from Below pitch, rejiggle, retune. I do it all about 3 or 4 times. ALWAYS tune UP from below the note you're tuning to, so the string is kept taught. If you tune Down from Above Pitch, the slack may cause tuning issues & you will just have to retune it all over again... properly! If all this still doesn't help, then you need to remove your Machine Heads (Tuning Keys/Pegs) from the gtr as part of your next restringing, and pull them open with a Jewellers Screwdriver & pair of Long Needle-nosed Pliers. Apply some Machine oil or Grease to the meshing Gears and ensure they are in proper contact with no slip. Retighten case with Needle-nose Pliers & Reinstall Machine Heads to Headstock, then restring. If THAT Fails, you need new Machine Heads. Any Guitarist (or Musician, for that matter!) should learn how to set-up, tune & maintain their own equipment, properly, and to their own personal preference. BTW, I wanna get 1 of these Goth Axes, and an SG G-400 in the Cherry finish. I have a Metallic Black Yamaha RGX-1212S 1990 Korean build with RM PRO II Floyd Rose Licensed (Yamaha's own sleeker looking unit!) Floating Tremolo, a DEAN 'Dimebag' Razorback with Biomechanical Graphics & Floyd Rose Trem, and a really shit old Onyx LP copy. Love the sound of the solid LP bodies (minus a limb, or few. lol), & the feel of the LP style bridge, just hate my Onyx. I also play the Drums and perform Harsh, Extreme Vocals - think, Entombed/Dismember, Carcass, Napalm Death, Sepultura, Cannibal Corpse, Immortal, Mayhem, Gollum, a Nazgul shrieking, etc... Danny Filth... LOL If you're into Thrashy Blackened Death Metal, with hints of Power-Groove & Doom thrown in just for good measure, check out my solo-project CHAOS via ReverbNation.com or FaceBook. CHAOS - Chaotic Black Death.
    nimir.anu.666.c