Jeff Waters Annihilation-V review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Jeff Waters Annihilation-V

Price paid: € 500

Purchased from: thomann.de

The guitar was made in 2010 in Korea and is a limited edition signature model of Jeff Waters from the band Annihilator. It has mahogany body and neck with a set-thru construction, 24 frets on a phenolic fretboard, red dot inlays with Red Devil inlay on the 12th fret, Grover tuners, 2 Gibson humbucking pickups, 1 push-pull volume pot and a killswitch (very fun to play with). Mine is finished in annihilator red. It came with tools for truss rod adjustments, a cable and a pair of Epiphone strap locks.

I'm running the guitar through a Zoom G7.1ut and then into a Marshall MG50DFX (the older one). The obvious music style that this guitar represents is metal. That's what I bought it for anyways. Though, having the ability to split the 2 humbuckers into single-coils, it can do much more than metal. The Gibson humbuckers are very clear, so this guitar can compliment music styles such as blues, rock, punk as well as it does with metal. It has a pretty good sustain and rich sound due to the mahogany body and neck.

The finish was very nice without any flaws and looks much better than it looks in the photos. The guitar's setup was pretty bad once i got it, but after not more than 20 minutes tweeking with the action and the intonation it was ready for playing. Controls, tuners were fitted very nicely and the pickups were adjusted pretty well. The neck's shape is a D-shape Explorer style and it's very comfortable and fast. All in all a great playing and looking guitar!

I've had this guitar for about 4 years now, and i had no problem with it so far. I hardly ever need to do any adjustments on it. The strap locks it came with are pretty good and the finish is still flawless to this day. The grover tuners hardly let the guitar out of tune and they are very reliable. I don't really gig but I play with the guitar everyday. I don't think I would need any backup in a gig situation. It's a rock solid guitar made to thrash!

I've been playing for about 8 years now and I can say hands down that it's the perfect match for my music taste (I'm a big Annihilator fan too!). It's a comfortable guitar, the hardware are pretty solid and reliable. I love it to death and if it got stolen I would definitely buy it again. Favorite feature must be the looks of the guitar. It's gorgeous and makes wanna shred it everytime I see it. I've played Ibanez, LTDs, Jacksons and none compares to this beast. Looks great, plays great. I don't need anything more!

Exelion
    I own a black one and it's the best guitar I 've ever Tried.. For 500€ it's really a blessing for any metalhead (and not only)
    SCopeland24
    It's a good guitar for the price but when I played it, honestly, it felt like a toy. Good for the price just not amazing. I'd give it a 7/10. If you want a starter or cheap flying v then I would definitely recommend it if you can get it for less than $500.
    DaisXiled
    Just got mine in from ebay, it is AMAZING! My first "V" and I don't know how I got by without this guitar.
    MrKRB64
    Played it at a guitar shop & was extremely surprised by how good it plays and feels- & for the price it's even better. Went back the following fortnight to buy it but they were sold out and weren't planning on getting anymore in The action was great, neck was easy to play and the harmonics you could get on this thing were amazing. The rubber strip on the bottom to prevent moving when sitting down, the kill switch and the strap locks are all minor but great extras. If you have the chance to purchase it; you should.
    Deermonic
    I was lucky to get this in red when it came out.It has Gibson Pickups!The neck is made from the same material as a bowling ball. Its very very slick.The pickups sound blues because that is what 80s thrash metal used.It has zero effects except for a kicking kill switch. No whammy bar. Why? Its designed to shred not mess with knobs. So be prepared to purchase whammy peddles, distortion stompboxes and whatever else for emg type new metal sounds. You can Hendrix on this as good as a Gibson Flying V because of its natural cleaner blues tones.It also squeals really great.You couldn't get better for price then or today.One drawback is that after a year or so solid use you will need to have it serviced for intonation. Other than that it holds tuning very well once you settle it right. Watch the input jack on your leg. It does get loose.I have never looked at another metal guitar.
    poland
    Jeff is a good player good enough I think after Glenn Drover left Megadeth Jeff was one guitarist that was asked before Dave got Chris. The reason I say this is most very good guitarist can make a you tube and he burns it up with that guitar many of us regulars will not be able to do what he can with the same guitar. IMO!