Joe Perry Boneyard LP review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Joe Perry Boneyard LP

Purchased from: Guitar centre cologne

I play in a coverband and thus have to cope with all kinds of styles. I use a Hot Rod Deluxe with a Vox Bulldog Distortion. The guitar makes no hum at all on the clean channel and just slightly on the distortion, which is normal I guess. The boneyard has a very smooth and full clean sound and with the selector in the middle you get a strange and wonderfull faselike sound (my favourite). On the distortion the guitar gets wild and does anything you'd expect from a much more expensive guitar. I would not dare to say it sounds like a Gibson, but it's very, very close to it.

I play since 1980 and have owned several guitars since then. Ibanez, Yamaha, Sunn. The only one left from this stock is my pacifica 604. The Boneyard is a dreammatch for my kind of playing. It suits every style from effectless clean to pure metal. I wasn't really an epiphonefan and started of looking at some Fenders in the same pricerange (Mexican made Telecasters, Highway telecaxster), which were good guitars but missed the looks and the sound of this Epiphone. I love everything about the guitar except it's weight (5kg) which tears on your shoulder after two hours of gigging. Real value for the bucks! I recommand it strongly. To end a word of advise: check the guitar thoroughly before purchase, it has everything, no doubt, but the factoryfinish might be sloppy, look at the details, take your time and if no flaws are found or if they are adjusted, try it again! Take your time to test her and commpare it in the store with guitars of the same range (something you should always do).

Just purchased it, but by the looks of it, it shouldn't be a problem to drag this baby along on stage for quite a while. Never play without a back-up, but I wouldn't be nervous if I forgot my other guitar on a gig. The only thing that might be a problem is the black satin finish on the body's back. I have a feeling that it will wear quickly, only time will tell. The Switch button and the strapbuttons were replaced (Switch because it was broken and the strap buttons for straplocks, the guitar is heavy and better be sure then sorry, be sure to use a strap of at least 6 cm with padding).

Hardware wasn't set-up at all. I had the impression that they smacked all features on, Korean style. The 3-way selector was loose and broken. These flaws were professionally corrected in the guitarstore and everything was adjusted to my wishes (a good dealer does this without you have to ask for it). The Switch was exchanged. Once adjusted, I was blown away by the result. The Aged tiger finish is breathtakingly beautiful, a real looker (always a matter of taste of course).

Made in 2004 in Korea. Solid-top Les Paul model, signature model Joe Perry, 3 way selector, Gibson Burstbucker II + III pickups, Grover tuners.

rajandmaria
    TheGuitarDude69
    rajandmaria wrote: is this really made in korea? coz i went into a shop and saw it was made in china?
    depends on how new the model is, because older ones were made in Korea newer ones are made in Cina
    Eddyripdeal
    Still got my boneyard and it still is my nr 1 favourite. I also own a Gibson SG menace and a Taylor standard solidbody. I always faal back on the epi, just love the feel of it.
    franzosten
    Who cares if these guitars are made in China? Many of them, just like this one, are simply amazing guitars!!!!