Korina Explorer review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Korina Explorer

Purchased from: Spectre Sound, Bingley

This guitar is great for playing rock, punk, pop punk, grunge, metal etc. It has a great sound when it's distorted or you turn the gain up. It's clean sound lets it down a little, as it sounds slightly tinny at times, but if the turn the balance up on your amp so middle and treble are full and bass is about 4/5 that sorts it out just about.

This guitar suits the music I play and is just an all round beast. It kicks my friends Stratocaster and SG. if it were stolen I wouldn't be able to sleep until I had it again. I love the look and shape, and the way it looks like no other guitar. It's just a beast. there's no guitar for it's sort of price that can get close to it.

Id happily take this gigging, in fact in intend to in the next few months. The hardware could last for years. However, you need some straplocks for it, as the strap button near the neck is at an odd angle, so it'd come off every time. I've scrated the finish slightly on the head stock, cos my friends basement has some really rough bricks, but it's not notciably. You can jump about as much as you want with this guitar

The guitar was set up perfectly, strings at the exact right height, and it was nearly in tune. The pickups were at the right height, although the neck pickup is slightly loose. The neck is fine for playing, smooth and fast, but if your hands get sweaty it gets slightly difficult, but it's way better than my friends Strat. I've had the guitar about 4 months maybe, and I've only needed to tune it about 7 times. I've heard tht the gold hardware starts oxidizing, but I haven't noticed any of this.

I don't know when it was made, but it was made in Korea. It's got 22 frets and a rosewood fretboard. I got the ebony finish, because it looks a beast. Bridge is just a classic tune a matcic, with stopbar tailpiece, like almost all epiphones. It's got 2x volume 1x tone 3-way switch and 2 alcino classic pick ups and grover tuners, which practically never get out of tune. It's really light for its size, I was worried it'd way a ton, but it's possibly lighter thn my crappy Encore Les Paul.

Explorer Man
    I own a whole heap of explorers and this one is my absolute favouite one. I bought it second hand, made in 1999. It has lower action than the Kramer Vangaurd (Jackson Randy Rhoads design) and has only the slightest hint of buzzing. Its pickups must have been replaced but they look as old as the hardware and theyre the best pick-ups i've ever had. I think they are hand wound and are really warm.
    ericman93
    i cant see why you dont like the pickups, i think they sound great (atleast through my line 6 vetta)
    uvq
    Or you could just get a gibson and play it through a BIG marshall and you're sorted. lol