Les Paul 100 review by Epiphone

• Users' score: 7.9 (2,209 votes)
Epiphone: Les Paul 100

Purchased from: Island Music

On my Peavey Bandit (also new) it sounds spectacular. I can get any sound from hard rock (Led Zep's Heartbreaker solo) or more sustained, Pink Floyd-ish tones. It suits my playing style perfectly (always trying to add solo breaks) and never sounds bad. It can be as noisy or emotional as I want it just by flicking the tone nob and slight adjustments on the amp. Only complaint is that on the heavy distortion, the 'rhythm' effect sounds pretty muddy but I never do that anyway so who cares?

Overall, thisa guitar is perfect for me. I've been playing for about 1 and a half years and am very impressed with this compared to my old Ibanez which had the irritating whammy bar feature that I never used. If it was stolen, I wouldn't just hunt down and kill the man who took it but also all his friends, family and entire race. With my bare hands.

I think the guitar would be awesome live 'cause it looks and feels great. The hardware looks sturdy enough, but the strap buttons are a bit dodgy. Sometimes while I play standing up the strap falls off- maybe its the strap's fault but we'll see.

Action was nice and low - not too low though. It allows easy tapping and hammers/pulls but still has a good sound. Pickups were fine by me but then this is only my second guitar so I'm not too much of an expert. There were no flaws with it so I'm very happy.

Has everything I need! 22 frets, great ebony finish with the black hardware (the only hardware worth having), neck also black; all very black but its nicely set off by the cream scratch board. Has the standard Gibson 3-way tone selector and four extra sound knobs. I've always loved this shape and it looked more gorgeous than ever when I got it home. All in all looks great and isn't lacking in anything.