Les Paul 100 review by Epiphone

• Users' score: 7.9 (2,209 votes)
Epiphone: Les Paul 100

Purchased from: Mountain Music

This guitar appears to fit my style (though I am just starting out, and haven't developped too much of a style). I do listen to a lot of rock music, and I'm trying to learn it. It works great for the songs I have learned (mostly simplistic versions of Rage Against The Machine). I'm using some <$100 amp ('cause I'm cheap), but it sounds great through it! Nice full sound (since I never change it from 10 tone) It can be al little noisy when put right up to my computer (as I picks up the computer signals) but that's my own fault. Usually play clean, but will use amps overdrive distortion. I do plan on buying more distortions when I get a little better. Can make some wild sounds (I have figured out how to play a few Rage solos on it) toggle Switch allows for simple transfer from neck to bridge pickups. This guitar appears to have a large variety of sounds it is capable of playing.

This guitar is great! I've personally used this for some very metal sounding songs, while friends of mine have fooled around with everything from pop to metal. This is one of the most versitile guitars I've seen. It is far more versitile then 99% of my friends guitars (the only one that may be more versitile is my friends Epiphone Zakk Wylde Les Paul). I really wish I had asked when this guitar was made before I bought it, as it was 13 months old when I bought it, however, this has nothing to do with the guitar itself, just the discount I could have gotten lol. I protect this thing with my life, if it were stolen I would deffinatly buy it again (unless I could afford one of Epiphone's top models, but that's if I were really good). I compared this to a ton of other guitars, Godin Destroyers, Fender Stratocaters, Fender Telecaters, Squier Strats and Telecaster, and this was by far the best one I played. It was also the second least expencive (next to the Squire Telecaster Special II, Which was $10 bucks less). With this guitar, I do wish it were set neck, so I don't have to worry about it comming loose after years of playing. I also wish It had the cool Mother of Pearl Trapazoids instead of the dot inlays. I also wish it came in a starter pack, so I could have saved money. However, the lower costing Special II comes in a starter pack, so I couldn't expect this, and the added features are on another guitar in Epiphones lineup, I just can't afford it lol. The cosmetic features are not major wants, just nice to haves, so this guitar is deffinatly worth the money it cost me. I love this guitar, and will love it for years to come.

This guitar should withstand live performance. I had a friend play the hell out of it, and it still looked like new and sounded like new. The hardware should easily last as long as I own this guitar. The only complaint I really have with it is that one of the strap buttons is a little loose, however, the strap stays on it very easily. The finish is amazing, it will easily last as long as I own this guitar, and further.

This guitar's action was a little low. This really wasn't a problem till I started tuning it to drop B, which created a litlle bit of fret buzz. This was easily fixed however. The pickups on this guitar were set just fine, I have never run into a problem with them. The guitar appears to be manufactured with great care, as all the electronics work perfectly. There were no visible flaws on this guitar at the time of purchase, and are still no flaws on this guitar.

Mine is a July 2004 made in China. It has 22 frets. Not quite sure if their jumbo or med/jumbo, but I'm leaning to jumbo. Most of my friends say their guitars have smaller frets. Mahogany bolt on neck, with alder/mahogany body in cherryburst finish. Smaller version of the Les Paul style body. Tune-O-Matic bridge with stopbar tailpiece. Independant volume and tone controls with 3 way Switch in normal Les Paul position. Open coil humbuckers in bridge and neck. I did have to buy everything else with this guitar, however I was expecting to anyway.