Les Paul 100 review by Epiphone

• Users' score: 7.9 (2,209 votes)
Epiphone: Les Paul 100

Purchased from: Allens Music

Suits what I do pretty well. I play mainly melodic hard rock and it does almost all of my bands songs pretty well. It has all of the bottom end you'd expect from a Mahogany body but the Alder helps it out a little in the high-end to create an alright balance. But as you'd expect from a Les Paul it's all about a big, warm, fat low end and that's where this thing delivers. Distorted power chords sound nice and huge with a nice bit of bite from the bridge pickup and for cleans it delivers well, nice and warm on the neck pickup and the middle setting but becomes a bit harsh on the bridge. Using this through my Behringer V-tone half stack it'll make almost any sound unless you want bright and twangy. It plays and sounds like a Les Paul, nothing else.

For most of my bands stuff the LP 100 does the job. Sometimes I need a bit more bite and crunch so I need to Switch to a guitar with a hotter pickup and different body material, but you don't buy a les paul for bright and punchy. It does the Les Paul thing just as well as you'd expect, big, fat and warm, which is what I use it for. Been playing for 7 years and this is one of the most comfortable guitars I've played and sounds good through almost everything, even my practice amp (a Fender FM65R) which was definately not built for a Les Paul. As far as the thicker, heavier Les Pauls go, this one is slightly brighter, which is the main reason I chose it, I couldn't afford a guitar that ran the risk of sounding muddy. It has everything a Les Pul player would want but personally I think a tremelo system would make this guitar almost a perfect fit.

This thing stands up to live playing excellently. Once the strap-buttons were re-set it was ready to go and has never given me another problem. It's not as heavy as it's bigger Les Paul brothers but still delivers a nice whack of Mahogany tone. Hardware is extremely well secured, except for the aforementioned strap buttons, and doesn't seem to be going anywhere anytime soon. Finish is there to stay which is nice too. Despite being built in China this axe seems to be very solidly put together, although I would never gig without a backup, I haven't needed one yet.

Action was too high when I got it, but that was easily fixed, neck pickup was a tad high, bridge pickup not high enough but again, easily fixed. Had a problem with the pickup selector not selecting the neck pickup properly so I had to get it rewired. Also the strap buttons were a tad loose and one even pulled right out of the body whilst I was practicing once. But once all these little glitches were fixed, it played excellently.

Made in China in 2004, 22 frets with a mahogany/alder body. Come with all the basics you'd expect from a Les Paul, bolt-on Mahogany neck with rosewood fingerboard. 2 tone and 2 volume controls with 3-way toggle for pickup selection to Switch between the 2 open coil humbuckers. Non-locking tuners with a tune-o-matic beidge with a stop-bar. Personally I'm not a fan of not having a trem, so that's why this one misses out on full marks for features.