Les Paul 100 review by Epiphone

• Reviewer's score: 6 Neat
  • Users' score: 7.9 (2,209 votes)
Epiphone: Les Paul 100

Purchased from: musicians friend

I do like the way it sounds, brighter than my set neck LP Standard. And much lighter. The bolt on neck makes access to to the upper frets easier as the neck joint isnt so thick. The pickups seem to be a bit hot for my tastes. I measured the ohms of each as 13neck/16bridge. But I'm going to change em anyways. I play mostly sabbath, AC/DC, and zeppelin and does a good job of those styles.

But as I didn't buy this guitar as a out of the box player the problems aren't much of an issue. I tuned it and played it for 5 minutes as a comparison and pulled it apart. I pulled all the fret wires and sanded the fret board level, replaced them with stainless frets. Sanded all the paint off and repainted it with a nice dark blue. Sprayed it with metal flake then clear coat. I got rid of the neck plate and drilled the holes for neck ferrules. Rewired it with CTS audio and linear taper pots, and fortunatly they had put right hand knobs so didn't need to buy any. Put the volume pot capacitor bypass in with switches to turn it off. Made a nice black pickguard and black covers for the control compartments. Had a set of black pickup rings so it looks much better now. Only money I had to spend outside of buying the guitar was a set of grover tuners to replace the cheap ones that came with the guitar. And had several sets of pickups to chose from to put in it. Settled on a p90 phat cat for the neck and a bridge humbucker I had taken out of my other LP. Sounds and plays really good now. I wanted another LP but found the wood to build one was 2 times much as buying this guitar.

As it came from the box you couldnt use it for any sort of Live playing it wouldn't stay in tune for any length of time. And the bridge pickup not working wouldn't have been to impressive. Getting used to the backwards knobs would have been a pain. And they use small screws to hold the strap buttons on so would not depend on them.

As for how it was set up by the factory it wasn't. The action was really high and the intonation was way out. The bridge pickup didn't work when I first got it out of the box. And although it had left hand pots in it they put right hand knobs on it. So 1 was all the way up 10 was all the way down. The body and neck were well made and didn't find any problems with the paint.

I bought it new from musicians friend, it was made in indonesia so don't know how old it is. It has the Standard 24 3/4 scale length. It has a mahogany body with a carved alder top, it's much thinner and lighter than a Standard model. It has a mahogany bolt on neck with a rosewood fret board. As it is a lefty it only came in one color of Heritage cherry sunburst. It has the Standard stop piece/Tune-O-Matic bridge but has small spring clips so the stop piece doesnt't fall off when changing strings an improvement over my more expensive LP Standard. Comes with 2 volume 2 tone controls, but are backwards as it's a lefty. Which seems to be a solution to a problem nobody had. The tuners did not have a name and were non locking. It didn't come with any accessories.

opc100
    nirvanapwns wrote: which would you recomend this or a squier jagmaster
    easily this guitar. squiers are good but the jagmaster's not as good as this.
    sid-x
    this guitar is great but only if you replace he pickups and get it set up because the strings are like a meter high everything else its a great guitar