Les Paul 100 review by Epiphone

• Users' score: 7.9 (2,209 votes)
Epiphone: Les Paul 100

Price paid: A$ 369

Purchased from: Gosford Music Centre

I play mostly plain rock music, and it sounds really good, but it also shines when I run it through distortion (Behringer SM400) to play heavier rock or metal. If you buy this guitar, I recommend that you have a Distortion Pedal for it, as it increases it's versatility greatly. I play it through a 10 watt bass amp, and even then it sounds fantastic. It has some really bright sounds higher up the fret board, but carries that really strong Les Paul sound on the lower end. However, I think there is a problem with the grounding on the guitar, because at times I hear a very faint humming from the amp, and if I touch any metal on the guitar (strings, bridge, etc. even the tuners) the noise stops.

As aforementioned, I play mostly rock music, and this is a great match. I've played guitar for about 3 years, however only started seriously playing about a year ago. If this were stolen, I would find and donkey punch the thief, then take it back. Failing that I would definitely buy a new one. it is a great budget guitar, plays well and just looks fantastic. I did play a few others, including a low-end Strat and this was definitely the best Bang for Buck option. I played a few copies, and this was better than just about all of them except one that was more than twice the price. I do wish it had pickup covers, and I will probably buy some online and fit those. at times I also wish it had binding, but I'm still very happy with this guitar.

Strangely enough, my Les Paul has thrown off the conventions of seemingly every other one. my strap buttons still feel pretty solid, even if they aren't the best for holding straps on, and it stays in tune if you stretch the strings out. The finish feels solid, and I don't think it will wear. I am certain that this guitar would withstand a live performance, but as a rule I don't play without a backup. If I were to use any one guitar without a backup, this would be it.

The low end action was a tiny bit low, but a flat-head screwdriver soon fixed that. Other than that, everything lined up pretty well. I found one tiny nick in the finish, but I may be able to buff it out if I really tried. it's not visible at all unless under really close inspection, so that's alright. Strangely enough, the pickup selector would have a fit at me and make a loud crack every time I flicked it, but that problem seemed to fix itself after only a day. So yeah, well set up (either by the factory or the guitar store, I'm not sure which) except for one or two minor gripes.

apparently my LP-100 was "Hand Crafted in Indonesia" in 2007. It has 22 frets, on a 3/4 scale rosewood fretboard. It has a Vintage Tobacco sunburst finish and it looks fantastic. like all Les Pauls (except one I think I've seen, not sure which) it has a Tune-O-Matic bridge. It has a tone and a volume control for both pickups, and of course a pickup selector. It has grover tuners, which seem to hold pretty well fortunately. I got a free Epiphone/Lynard Skynard gig bag with the guitar. My only initial problem with the finish is that there was a little bit of black gunk or something on the edge of the pick guard, but I cleaned that off, so it's no problem now. Of course this guitar has that good old Les Paul look which I absolutely love.

rocnroll4evr93
    i own this and i absolutly love it. i will never get rid of it. sounds just as good as the more expensive epi models. second only to gibsons
    Koshman32
    gibofan01 wrote: oh and a question my little guitar fanatics.. --- CAN ANY1 SUGGEST A GOOD PAIR OF REPLACEMENT PICKUPS???----- WB please!!! cheers
    I suggest a set of EMG 81/85 active pickups. I put a set of those in my guitar in January and I absolutely love the sound. Sounds amazing on a clean or distorted sound
    Lasyk
    DUDE! that top one was bought at mountain music! I live right by there, if its the same one in hamilton ontario that is, I only know of one though! It is a really good guitar i find, personally prefer the V or the firebird myself though
    shnurs
    bought one for me bday a few months ago and lovin it. Affordable price, awesome sound.
    luke-bassist
    Choose lp classics, standards and customs over lp 100 and special II's any day. lp 100 is a crap guitar for many reasons. 1) it has a bolto on neck = inferior sustain. 2)cheap pickups and 3) dot inlays. this is personal preference but the trapezoid ones look nicer. also, looking at the comments above, i would choose the g 400 cus it has better quality stuff mentioned earlier.
    FATAROX333
    yea i was at guitr center one day and i tried out this and a fender telecaster and i liked this a lot better
    ayusharon
    I just got a Lp 100 and it sounds brilliant..ofcourse the pickups are a bit turn off but good and the tuners too need replacement. can we change the Tuners to Grovers..and please suggest some nice pickups for both blues and hard rock. This is my 3rd Guitar and before i owned a Epiphone Standared. except for the thinner body and a bolt on nect i didn,t find much of a difference..somehow Lp's got the same sustainability like fixed necks. !!!
    tAkE iT aWay <3
    Gr33n wrote: what guitar would be better the LP 100 or a les paul junior??
    lp 100 fer suree! unless ur going for that single coil sound.