Les Paul 100 review by Epiphone

• Users' score: 7.9 (2,209 votes)
Epiphone: Les Paul 100

The sound on this guitar is pretty good. It will play just about all styles stock, and possibly with a pickup upgrade will play everything. I personally like the sound because I play mostly rock, with some metal, and some softer stuff, but again that is a matter of personal preference, so some might want to upgrade. I play on a twice borrowed Peavey Audition Chorus, as well as a soon-to-be replaced Zoom G1X. This thing is warm sounding on the neck pick-up, brighter (but not the brightest)on the bridge pick-up, and just really gives a full sound, without a lot of guitar-caused background noise (the amp has some ate up speakers, and some bad connections, but I hooked it to a 200W Marshall head and a 4X12 Marshall cabinet and it sounded just fine). It's very versatile and usable for just about anything.

Overall, this guitar has made a great impression on me, as well as my people. It has an awesome feel and it's not to heavy (although I have nothing to compare it to). I personally like it very much and wouldn't sell it, but that's the way I am. I would definitely buy it back if it were lost or stolen, unless I got an offer to buy a Gibson Custom Left-Handed for the same price (highly unlikely). Being pretty low income and left-handed, I searched everywhere, the local pawn shops, yard sales, auctions, newspapers, just about everywhere a guy could look, and finally when I saw this I had to have it. My people tried to get me a Squier, but I hate the Strat body-style. So they finally got me a hundred extra cash and got me this, and I'm glad for it.

I think this guitar is very durable. Before I borrowed a case (a right-handed case that it barely fits in) I had to lug it around with a blanket wrapped around it (I have mice and I needed protection) and it has it's fair share of scrapes and dings and nothing has really failed on it. Everything seems sturdy and withstanding. The tuners are nice and sturdy, and the controls aren't loose, except the pick-up Switch, which became loose after a while, but I tightened it with some pliers and it hasn't spun much since. The finish seems like it can last, doesn't seem like it's thin or wearing off. The strap buttons are sturdy as well. I would definitely use it at a gig without a backup.

when I bought it, the action was just about as far down as possible, without fret-buzz, and it is pretty good. Unfortunately, you have to raise it a little if you put on thicker guage wire (it came with some .009 guage, and my friend gave me a low "E" from a .010 set, and I got some open string buzz). The nut was pretty good, and the bridge was pretty nice, except for the high "E" saddle, which got a burr in it and kept breaking strings, but was easily fixed by lightly scraping it out with a knife, then keeping it lubricated with a little graphite. Other than that, no flaws that I can tell of currently.

This guitar is an awesome guitar. I am a beginner guitarist, but I know my way around a guitar, as well as my uncle, who has over 30 years of guitar experience. He said it was the best left-handed guitar he had ever seen for the price. It might have been made in China, but it doesn't show it. It has 22 frets, like most Les Pauls. Also, it has a maple top, mahogany back, and a rosewood fretboard. It has a Standard Tune-o-matic bridge. The 2 open-coil humbuckers are alright, but could do with some upgrading, depending on your personal preference. It also has 2 tone and 2 volume knobs, and a 3-way switch, which expands your possibilities. Sadly, when I bought it, the people at Guitar Center gave me nothing with it, no case, not a gigbag, no audio cable, or even a pick.

TheXero
    i have this guitar, but the next model up, and its perfect, apart from 2day (purchased 7 months ago) where the hardware is failing, and pretty bad (just started band practise) so i may be getting a new guitar i love the les pauls, but has any body got a recommendation? cheers