Les Paul 100 review by Epiphone

• Users' score: 7.9 (2,209 votes)
Epiphone: Les Paul 100

Price paid: A$ 500

Purchased from: Allans music

This was my first electric guitar and I started playing mainly AC/DC, Led Zeppelin. I now play mainly heavy metal, like Metallica and Iron Maiden and sometimes hevier stuff. I play now through a DigiTech RP80 effects pedal and a Fender FM 212R. I am very pleasede with the sound I get out of it though the pickups lack definition. The neck pickup is too muddy and the bridge is too tinny so I can only use both. I still much prefer the sound to any single coil pickups, though more expensive (EMG) humbuckers would be a lot better. I occaisionally play blues and jazz, which this guitar does really well when coupled with the right amp settings.

Overall this is one of the best first guitars and I would recommend it for anyone starting out for it's great value for money. If it was lost, stolen or damaged I would not buy it again because over time I would need a better sounding guitar, preferably with a thru-neck. I think this guitar would look a hell of a lot better with binding, better inlays and pickup covers, I suppose that'd make it a Les Paul Standard. Overall, I'm very pleased that I got it, but am now saving for a new one.

I have had a few problems with the electronics in this guitar. Firstly the pickup selector didn't work properly, I think there was a loose connection to the bridge pickup. I'm not sure whether the volume controls work or not; they just seem to change the tone until it cuts out. This is okay for me because I use a volume control on my pedal. The strap button was loose before but I screwed it back in and haven't had any troubles. The tuners are okay; the guitar will go out every couple of days. Giging with temperature changes would be a worry. I would gig without a backup simply because I can't afford one but when I get a new guitar this would be very handy as a backup.

Being my first guitar I didn't know anything about setup and action, but I find it comfortable to play with. There wern't any factory defects when I first got it. I recently tweaked the pickup height and am not sure whether it was better before.

Purchased in 2005, made in China. Bolt on neck, with 22 frets. Two open coil humbuckers, cream bevels and pickguard. Tune-o-matic bridge. 2 volume, 2 tone controls with 3-way selector. Cherry sunburst finish. No binding. Overall look is okay but nothing special. I got bored of the look quite quickly. Bolt on neck is annoying when playing in the highest frets.

american muscle
    can any 1 help me out, i have this guitar and i need to replace the stock tuners ,but i dont know much about guitars,can any 1 tell me what would be good replacement tuners that would fit a les paul 100,please
    ninjatheo
    I'm going to buy a guitar when the school period w=ends... so I need your help...!!! I want a les paul type guitar about 200 euro... and I'm wondering if lp 100 is better than the stagg l350... or if you know a better guitar with this price tell me plz
    ninjatheo
    I'm gonna buy a guitar in a month and I need your help... I'm thinking about getting this guitar but I also like the stagg l350... can any1 tell me which is better? or recommend other guitars (les paul types)