Les Paul 100 review by Epiphone

• Users' score: 7.9 (2,209 votes)
Epiphone: Les Paul 100

Price paid: C$ 250

Purchased from: Noteworthy Music

Suits my style. When I first got it, I was playing a lot of Queen and Led Zeppelin. I was using a 15w Traynor amp, but have now moved up to a Marshall and it still sounds great. Humbuckers really buck the hum, as I have no real need to engage the noise gate on my effects pedal. It seems that after 4 years, the pickups begin to lose brightness as my neck pickup sounds like that the tone has been rolled all the way back. Despite this, it took 4 years to get to this state, and for the last 4 years has been incredibly good. I've used both the pickups with and without distortion. They are both good for clean settings, but once I played multiple notes the noise became even more distorted (Not the good type of distortion). Can Switch between all the pickups, but there's a bit of a pop whenever you switch.

I've been playing hard rock, fast rock, slow rock, prog rock, etc, etc, for several years. The Les Paul guitar has always been known for it's versitality, and this is no exception. I have been playing for four and a half years, and this was my first electric. I now own a Fender Stratocaster, Precision Bass, Mandolin, Keyboard, and multieffects units. If it was stolen, I wouldn't go out of my way to buy a new one of the same model, I would perhaps buy the next one up but because it was my first electric guitar, I would want the exact same one returned to me. The reason I chose this one was because I had been listening to a lot of Led Zeppelin, Aerosmith, and Queen at the time, and decided that this would be the best to try and mimic the sounds that they were producing.

This guitar will easily hold up to live playing. The hardware may need maintainence over the years, but it seems to be doing all right at the moment. Strap buttons are weak and I've had to superglue the upper one in because it would keep coming out. They may in fact be a little small, as I've stood up at times after playing while sitting down, and the strap would just fall off. Other times, I've been standing and the strap would fall off completely. The finish on the body is still shiny on mine, but I've worn down the neck quite a lot. It actually gives it a much more personal feel as you can see where you play the most. This guitar would be fine to do a gig without a backup.

Action was normal - maybe a bit too high. I've lowered it a little. The pickups were set at an ideal height, and I've not changed the height. The tuning pegs are starting to see the end of their days for they are now becoming quite loose. No real flaws that I can see of- especially on a guitar this cheap.

Not sure what year it was made. I'm thinking along the back end of 2006. 22 jumbo frets on a rosewood fretboard bolted on to an alder body. Tune-o-matic bridge. 2x volume, 2x tone, and a 3 way pickup selector. Came with two open coil pickups (I've switched the Bridge pickup with a Fender humbucker). Non locking Epiphone tuners. No accessories included.