Les Paul 100 review by Epiphone

• Users' score: 7.9 (2,209 votes)
Epiphone: Les Paul 100

Purchased from: American Musical

I'm not a professional guitar player, but wanted a guitar that would have that rich bluesy sound that a Les Paul can give, and also could distort out to give that razor sharp rock edge to it, too. I found that with my Epi Les Paul - no doubt about it. As compared to my Fender 'strat-a-like' (StarCaster) that has a more tinny rockabilly sound to it, and my Ibanez GAX that seems to straddle the LP100 and the StarCaster, The LP100's sound is incredibly nice and smooth through my Roland Microcube practice amp, Fender Frontman, or my Peavey practice amp, too. When paired-up with the Fender Frontman, the LP100 is just awesome..! I've never heard it be noisy or not give me the blues tone I'm looking for. IT IS the best guitar I own (not saying that the GAX or the StarCaster are of the quality that they really compare - if I had the outlay I'd choose Gibson and real Fender gear).

Perfect match for my style of playing (blues) and I've been playing for about 6 months. It compliments my Fender StarCaster and Ibanez GAX really well - each have their own unique characteristics, but the Les Paul is my favorite - I would be crushed if anything ever happened to it. About the only guitar I'm on the hunt for now is an Epiphone Casino or Dot semi-hollow just to see if there's a huge difference there or not. John Mayer plays a Gibson Casino-style guitar and it seems to have a little more bluesy sound in the bass that my LP100 would have a little difficulty getting to. But I'm nowhere near disappointed with my LP100 - - I would HIGHLY recommend it to anyone who wants a versatile sounding guitar on the cheap, but does not feel cheap when you hold or play it. It's AWESOME!

Very durable, although it's been treated with tender loving care since I bought it. It's on the Fender floor stand along with the other two 'monsters' and I admire and play it daily. I love the quality of this guitar. It may not entirely stack up like a Gibson Les Paul because of the choice of wood and construction, but you won't be disappointed in the quality - it's WELL put together and beautiful. The only thing that bugged me when I first got it out was that the output jack was loose, but I tightened it up with a pliers and it was 100% good to go. Hasn't given me one ounce of problem since.

I took it right out of the box, gave it a tuneup, and it was 100% right out of the Chute - beautiful! Everything was adjusted perfectly and I didn't have to mess with anything. All the parts fit perfect and I didn't notice anything about the construction that could disappoint - no kidding, it was perfect and I haven't had to mess any anything other than routine tuneup every other week (because of temp changes Summer to Fall in the house). All the metal hardware was perfect, too - no oxidation or rust. No flaws on the guitar, too - just perfect (and I expected it to be shredded being boxed and shipped to my door - NOT SO). It was packaged to take the ride perfectly, too.

Bought it new from American Musical in May of 2011 since I was looking for a bluesy kind of sound and DEFINITELY found it with this LP100. Single cutaway and Vintage Sunburst color scheme, standard rosewood fingerboard with a bolt-on mahogany neck and body. Transparent finish on the plain maple top really made this a nice one to own. I'm glad I didn't buy it used and abused (and I saw A LOT of 'em that way). Has the Lock Tone Tune-O-Matic bridge and Stopbar tailpiece and the usual 4 tone and volume controls. I didn't buy mine with a gig bag because I never intend to travel with this - it's strictly for playing at home.