Les Paul '56 Goldtop Reissue review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Les Paul '56 Goldtop Reissue

It suits my music styles which range from jazz/blues.. to alternative and punk rock... very full sound with the p-90's this guitar really kicks out some amazing solos..

I've been playing for 3 years.. I have alot of gear.. A 1950's Gibson les paul JR a 1959 Gibson es335 (the Epiphone 56 reissue)and a "Strat" copy that we are doing some work 2.. I own 2 tube amps a Fender Twin Reverb from the 60's and a 52 or 53 Fender tweed amp... most of this gear is from my gramps that was in a band... The guitar was awesome all around I would defiantely recommend it but you need to do a set-up and a string change when you get it... but that is a common thing.

It definately will play live.. the hardware is amazing now that it is setup and fixed.. the finish has a coating over the paint so it will last.. the strap buttons are good and i do depend on it.. as for playin a gig without a backup.. I never play one without a standby because strings snap and stuff happens..

From the factory the guitar was decent.. like normal the strings are just stock strings and rust in a week or so the pickups were perfect...They need to flip the tailpiece the opposite way from the factory it gives it more sustain.. Then there was a problem the 3 way Switch went bad and only one pickup was working.. so after putting a new Switch in there (cost 10.00$) it still didn't work.. it turns out some of the wires were literally ripped right from the volume and tone knob connectors... this was an easy fix.. but a little more care in the inspection department would be great.. other wise when finally done and set up with new strings and fixed it literally played better that a Gibson les paul..(and no I'm not dissen them because I own a Gibson as well..)

The guitar itself is made in Korea it has 22 frets, 3 way Switch, 2 tone, and 2 volume knobs. It has a gold top finish, mahogany body set neck and alnico p90 soap-bar pickups. there is trapazoid inlays and it is accented in a cream color (pickups, pickguard, back plates ete.)

johnstca
    I'm not sure about this guitar (I'm looking into it as well), but the Epiphone LP Custom is an awesome guitar!
    spasmodic
    actually david gilmour did use the gibson les paul 57 for the solo in another brick in the wall for its sustain
    th3darkn3ss
    would you recommend this guitar as a first guitar, if not which epi les paul would you recommend
    FloyD P Furgeso
    this is a great guitar! i put seymore duncan p-90's and it sounds even better, it growls like mean assed junkyard dog.
    dgme92
    My friend got one... I seriously recommend it to anyone interested.
    KenG
    Dont' go too cheap on your first guitar or you'll outgrow it very quickly! Many entry level guitars have serious flaws that can't be adjusted for. Warped necks due to cheap woods, bad neck to body angle, crappy placement of bridges making intonation a nightmare, cheap tuners that slip or noisy, poor sounding pickups. Considering you have pay over a thousand dollars for a Japanese or American Made guitar these days (and it goes up from there), $350.00 puts you firmly into the serious beginner guitar quality level where it will do you for several years. As quality control varies more with less expensive guitars, I would suggest trying several of the same model to find the "best of the lot".
    KenG
    Ryukyu Dragon wrote: I got mine in ebony =D
    A Goldtop in Ebony?????
    diegoleafsgo
    I'd say that as a first guitar i would go for an LP 100 or a Special II. I am saying that because of the price. Sure this one sounds good (p-90 pickuos) but as a beginner, you might want to spend less money.
    pix_dement
    if you'r looking for a classick rock tone or that ''jonny.b good'' sound,this is the guitar for you!
    PolesApart
    I don't know if Gilmour used a Gibson Les Paul 57 Goldtop in Another Brick In The Wall, but i'm sure that he used that guitar in his last album, "On An Island".
    spasmodic
    im looking into this guitar aswell... my other option was the epiphone les paul custom (black white n gold) but it seems that i cant get that in australia? but yea i heard the P-90 are one of the best pickups around and i also know that david gilmour played a gibson les paul 57 goldtop with p-90 for another brick in the wall.. also it seems that neil finn from crowded house used one in their live tour. seems like a great guitar a definite purchase
    Robocod
    perfect, but seymore duncan P-90's would sound better but for the price its impossible to argue
    GaryStack
    I'm a 30-year pro player and I've owned a TON of guitars of all vintages and price-ranges. I own an Epi Dot, which I LOOOVE!! I tried this guitar because I was searching for a P-90 equipped beast and I've always LOVED the Gold-Top's looks. I hate to say it, but I was disappointed. Not sure if it may have been a shielding issue with the P-90's, but they were MUCH noisier than similarly equipped guitars, and the neck wasn't NEARLY as nice as my Dot. I put it head-to-head with a P-90 equipped Godin, a PRS and a lowly 200-dollar Squier Telecaster Custom II made in Indonesia... and the Squier won hands down for great P-90 tone. The Squier neck needed a little work as well, but even before that, it was still better than the Epi. In the end, I chose an purchased the Tele Custom II over the Goldtop based on sheer sound. I realize it wouldn't be historically accurate on a Goldtop, but it really helped that the neck p/u on the Tele was reverse wound, meaning you get a humbucking efect with both p/u's selected (like pos 2 & 4 on a Strat)... but even on their own, the lowly Indonesian-built, Duncan-designed P-90's on the Tele were FAR quieter than the Epi, and overall, just had much better tone. I was bummed, cos I had really high hopes. The thing with these less-expensive guitars is that they lack consistency, so maybe I just happened upon a bad Epi and a good Squier.
    nick_winch
    im looking at getting this guitar (as my 2nd). the one im playing right now is garbage, so this looks like a nice step up. i'll definitely consider it.
    warrenguitar
    My favorite guitar in the world, looks brilliant, sounds great and just generally makes you want to play it when you see it. Legend!!!!!
    slashman94
    i have an original fender 72 telecaster deluxe. I love it and all but i got to put it down... i can't risk messing it up its too valuable. thats why i bought this guitar. i cut the pick up wholes wider and put in seymor duncan 59 blues pickups. man does it sound beautiful. i loved the p90s too. but i really like seymor duncans.... do not get this as your first guitar. get a squire or somthing. get this guitar once you really know how to play.