Les Paul Black Beauty review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Les Paul Black Beauty

Purchased from: Allans Music

it can play basically any style, and I play many (metal, rock, jazz, blues). It is an extremely versatile baby due to its middle hummer. I use it through a Zoom GFX-707 and a dimebag crybaby from hell into an Ashton 10 watt amp. It can be either searing metal tones to nice roundy blues. Has a very round and full sound, not like a Strat type. You cannot get a twangy sound, like in the intro to "Smells like teen spirit"...but the tone is really phat sounding due to the thick 9 and heavy mahogany body. I like the look and feel. Like most lp's it's heavy, but you get used to it. The pickups are pei ones, and I will upgrade them definitely. the middle pup especially sounds really nasaly. It has SO much potential though! I will whack in an emg 81 int he bridge for metal, have an 85 wired with the 81 for the mid position and have a 60 in the neck for a warm sound. I could achieve practcally an type of sound (metal, hard rock, soft rock, rock, jazz, blues) with this after that! It plays really great and although I will change them the pups are good for the money.

This can handle practically every style , and fits my mainly metal/rock range. I have been playing for 2 and a half years and also own an Ibanez rg 320, martinez acoustic/eectric, Ashton cheap Strat copy, dunlop dimebag crybaby from hell, Zoom GFX-707, and an Ashton 10 watt amp. If stolen or lost I would either get this or a custom (this guitar without the mid pickup which is really starting to bother me) but it's got much potential. The standard mid selector has a very different sound (much more bass from the neck pup and less treble). Thats about it...it's a good buy (IMO better than a Gibson) if you upgrade the pups, otherwise go for the custom.

This thing is built like a tank, and feels like a log at times...it's such a beast! I would gig with it...but always have a backup of course! Gold Finish on pickups, bridge is meant to fade but hasnt on mine...yet. Finish is awesome and ultra sexy. Strap buttons were solid but I put strap locks on just in case...it's so heavy that it could do serious damage if it fell.

The guitar had been set up the day before by alp specialist so the action, etc. was beautiful. Guitar was and still is in perfect shape, I have had it for 2 months.

2003, Made in korea. 22 frets, Solid top, 2-volume, 2-tone pots, 3 way pickup selector, 3 Gibson DESIGNED(not Gibson ones) humbuckers, wired bridge, bridge/middle, neck. Passive humbuckers with covers. Mahogany body, Ebony Black with Creme Binding on neck, headstock, body front and body back. Les Paul body, Tune-O-matic with stop tailpiece. Non locking tuners. I think a slim 60's neck.