Les Paul Black Beauty review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Les Paul Black Beauty

Purchased from: www.gak.co.uk

Sounds very very smooth played one full volume on clean, and with distortion, keeps its tone with full on crunch to add to it! Excellent for most styles of playing. Myself, I go for full on thrash metal, and it handles it very well, but also brilliant for ballady styles, punk styles, emo etc, as it is a very versatile guitar! It has a very warm and deep tone to it, but with a little bit of onboard tweaking, it can pull out a nice punchy bright tone.

For my own metal style, I'd choose this over most guitars, the only company I find that can beat a 'Paul for metal is Ibanez, but thats just me. I've been playing now for 2 years, this is my 4th guitar and my personal favourite! I use a Gould Les Paul Studio copy, a Fender Les Paul and (before it got trashed) an electro-acoustic. The thing I love about this guitar, is its ability to dial up almost any sound, and the ease of playing it! It's nothing to a Gibson of course, but for 349, you get every penny of it. The only thing I dont like about this guitar, and all 'Pauls for that matter, is the 22 frets, I'd prefer 24, but it still rocks, as anyone who can't bend up to a 24th fret from 22 doesn't deserve to play lead guitar.

This is a brilliant guitar for live playing, if you can be bothered to quickly retighten up the input jack every 20 mins. The whole thing is sturdy as a rock, and keeps together very well. However, I wouldn't use it for a gig without any backup guitars.

The action wasn't excellently setup, I had to do that myself, and the actual factory setup wasn't brilliant either, however with a little bit of tweaking, it was made perfect. The pickups were fine from the factory. Only major problem, is a problem all Epiphones have, is a loose input jack, which needs tightening every 20 minutes.

22 medium frets, 24.75" scale neck! Ebony finish, mahogany and alder wood for the body, and Mahogany for the neck, Les Paul (of course) body with Tune-O-Matic bridge, active electronics, 2 volume, 2 tone knobs, 2 Gibson PAF designed pickups, very niice pickups may I add! Grover tuners and comes with a nice little cable!