Les Paul Classic review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Les Paul Classic

Purchased from: SweeLee Music Company

Sound is warm and rich. It sounds extremely awesome. It, basically, is the more affordable version of a Gibson Les Paul. This sound, as compared to Standard LPs is alot warmer and more Vintage sounding. I did an A/B (means comparison) between this an my Epiphone Tony Iommi Signature SG and I could hear the difference instantaneously. Notes on the LP was crystal clear. Words alone just cant describe how awesome it sings. Only reason I gave it a 9 out of 10 was because I have heard how a Gibson Les Paul sounds like. Close, very very close, but just not exactly the same.

Generally play genres of music such as AC/DC, Slash's stuff, Blues etc. I just realised how long this review is becoming. I've been playing guitar for about 5 years. Electric guitar for about 4. Got my Epiphone Iommi Signature SG (this is like the 4th time I'm saying it, cause I love that guitar too haha), Squire 28watt amp, Fender Vintage cables, planet wave cables, Tech 21 wah, Direct Drive Overdrive Pedal). Basically I love everything about this guitar except for its cosmetic flaws and irritating fret buzz. Wide neck is awesome for fretting and bending. Screams like a Demon too. Would rather have coverd humbuckers too. I compared this with a standard LP before I bought it, and I chose it over the other LP cause of the awesome feel. In short, this is a Gibson on a super discount.

Durability is something I wouldn't be able to comment much on as I just got it yesterday. However as I have owned an Epiphone Iommi Signature SG before, I trust the durability and reliability of it would be awesome. Mine came with a free hardcase so it just helps add to the life spam of the guitar.

Feel of the guitar was awesome. Especially with the wider-than-normal neckwidth. Finish, on the other hand, was terrible. The wood on the fretboard showed signs of dryness, with grit between the wood grains. There was some space between the inlays and the wood. Fret buzz was also a major pain in the ass, but I plan to get down to using steel wool to gently file the frets down a bit to rid the buzz. No pickup covers! Paint-job, in my opnion was slip shot. You can see the ends where the paint is actually smudged. But then again, you have to realise that you paid only a minor fraction of what a Gibson Les Paul costs. For this amazing sounding guitar, cosmetic flaws don't really matter so much. This classic LP is practically as good as a custom LP. I love this guitar.

Mine is a Les Paul Classic Plus. Bought mine in Singapore. Features are the same of a normal Les Paul, Tune-O-Matic bridge, machine heads says "Grover," but these are the Grovers which the actual company licensed a Korean company to produce machine heads with the name "Grover" too. So don't get tricked. Despite this, strings still do stay in tune pretty well. Mine came with a pickguard which I removed promptly. Body and neck wood is made of Mahogany. Sustain proves it more so. I won't elaborate on the basics of this particular model as other users have already written on it. A note about classic LPs: This model is meant to replicate the sound and feel of a '60s Gibson Les Paul, hence the slightly more Vintage sound and a wider neck width. I love the wide neck width a whole ton. Makes it feel extremely comfortable to play with. The "Plus" at the end of the name of it simply means that it has a better finish than the norm. However this is not as obvious on Epiphones as that of Gibsons. Finish was rather bad, but this will go into the section further down. Given an 8 out of 10 because I would really have loved pickup covers instead of open coil humbuckers. Yea, I could get the covers online, but the trouble of having to order, pay, ship, wax my pickups, attach, blah blah, all the trouble. Pfft.