Les Paul Classic review by Epiphone

• Reviewer's score: 6.8 Neat
Epiphone: Les Paul Classic

The sound is just what you'd expect from a Les Paul-warm, thick, and with a boatload of sustain-but with one caveat: the pickups. The pickups are Epi stock Alnicos, and, to be frank, they sound like crap; not very high output, yet not Vintage sounding either, they're more just. But even with those limitations, this is a fairly versatile guitar. I play this through a DigiTech Bad Monkey OD into a Sunn T50C all-tube combo. On the clean channel with the neck pickup I can get a nice, bassy, RHCP-like clean tone, while the distortion channel with the gain at it's lowest is very reminiscent of SRV. I can get some good chugga-chugga metal rhythm on the neck pickup, but it still doesn't have enough output, and is far too loose for leads (the Bad Monkey helps with this somewhat).

I'm mostly a shred/power metal guy, but I was a total noob when I got this, and was more into classic rock. I bought it because it was a Les Paul, and I though all Les Pauls were automatically cool (and also because my friend got one). This would probably match my style better if it had good pickups, but I still wish I had gotten an Ibanez (an S520 will be my next guitar). I really love the thick, sustainful LP sound, but again, better pickups would enhance this oh so much more. But that awesome tone comes with a price; this guitar is obscenely heavy (upwards of 10 pounds), and kills my back and neck if I play standing for more than a half hour. Something I wish it had was body contours. I can never get my hand into a good picking position, whether standing or sitting. If this guitar was stolen, I would not buy another one, there are much better guitars for the price than this one.

This guitar will easily withstand Live playing (it's probably thick enough to stop bullets), and all the hardware is solid. Strangely, the stock strap buttons are rock solid, when you consider that even high-end guitars often have loose ones. The finish is tough as well (it has the Standard belt rash and pick scratches, but that's normal). I would never gig with it without a backup, as that's a stupid thing to do with any guitar, and not because I feel that it will crap out on me. There is one exception to this though; lately, the bridge pickup, the one I use the most, has been randomly cutting in volume when I Switch to it. If I Switch to the neck and then back, it usually fixes it, but this is yet another problem with Epiphone pickups.

When I got the guitar, the neck looked like a strung longbow, with action to match. The pickups were much too far away from the strings as well. The intonation was off, but not by much. After a simple action, intonation, and truss rod adjustment, this guitar now plays fairly nice, with only one hitch: If I bend the high E string at the 18th fret, it frets out. There was nothing wrong with the finish, apart from a tiny, invisible-except-in-sunlight ding on the top at the end of the cutaway.

This is an '05 or '06 not sure which, made in China Epiphone Les Paul Classic. It has a solid Mahogany body, with a beautiful quilted maple top, and a transparent black finish. The set neck is Mahogany, with a bound rosewood fingerboard, 22 medium frets, and abalone trapezoid inlays. It has the Standard Les Paul setup of two humbuckers, two tone and two volume controls, three-way pickup selector, and Tune-O-Matic bridge with stoptail. The tuners are Grover sealed.

Ali-b912
    someone should repost this on every review. STOP COMPARING EPIS TO IBANEZ/FENDER/GIBSON. they arent part of the same league. its like comparing a ford to a lamborghini. they arent meant to compete. the gibsons are presteige and top of the line and have that american patriotic quality (which to every other country is just really annoying and dumb) of being built in america as does fender. the squiers and epis are the cheaper low budget ones for those who dont need a pro guitar. if someone did buy the gibson, you would insult them for buying something they arent good enough to play. if you compare an ibanez thats completely different as well. ibanez are japanese and have better electronics cheaper but they only compete with epi and squier price wise, the ibanez GIO compete with them on electronics and qaulity etc. and then the guitars are for different styles. you cant say oh my BCrich is the best cos it looks cool. some people think they look like a hedgehog that imploded. and the sound also depends. u dont go and buy a kirk hammet ESP and complain when u cant get oasis out of it. jesus some people seem to struggle to make the most basic mental connections
    hazardmaster
    Hey I'm thinking of buying this guitar. But can someone please tell me the difference between this and the Les Paul Standard Plus? This guitar has black pickups whereas the Standard Plus has some silver ones. What's the difference?