Les Paul Classic review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Les Paul Classic

Purchased from: Local Music Store

I play a lot of contemporary rock, classic rock, metal and indie. I would say this is a pretty balanced guitar, it excells when you use distortion, however I would not say it does heavy metal well, it just doesn't produce that kind of heavy metal tone that you could expect of an Ibanez or an ESP in the same price range. However Switch it to clean and I find this guitar does very twangy (high treble settings) well and very warm (high mid settings)incredy well, and not much inbetween. You can play a lot of indie/blues music with this guitar and it does it very well as it gives out lovely soft tones.

I went for a Les Paul because it suits my playing style well, however when my bands tried to cover heavy metal such as Avenged Sevenfold or Bullet, it can't stand up to the rythm guitarists Ibanez. However, bring it down to play Led Zep, Guns n Roses or Indie and blues and it will do you justice. I've been playing around 3 years, my other main guitar is a Fender Strat so I decided to get a Les Paul, obviously it doesn't match the Gibson Les Pauls, but it comes very close. If it were stolen i'd say i'd save up for the real deal and get a Gibson. I love the warm tones this guitar can give out when playing clean and that's the main reason I bought it. Over all, for the price an excellent guitar with a few minor drawbacks but nothing that should stop you buying it if you're wanting a Les Paul.

It's a very solid guitar, with a decent weight to it. I fitted some renegade strap locks and I was ready to gig with it, and it hasn't disappointed since. I'm not exactly throwing my guitar over my hard but it has taken a bit of a beating and it stood up fairly well. However back to the tuning issue, a couple songs in our bands setlist require down tuning and between every song I would constantly check the tuning and it did slip slightly. The hardware seems solid to last a few years and after a few months of playing this every day for a few hours the finish doesn't seem to be going anywhere. If it came to it I could depend on this without a backup but I always keep a Strat in the back, you never know what could go wrong.

I like my action fairly low and my pickups fairly high. I had to adjust the pickup height myself, everyone likes their setup slightly different, but apart from that the action on the guitar was excellent. Epiphone are sometimes known for dodgy electronics, even while I was playing an Epiphone Les Paul Custom in the store it broke as one of the pickups just decided to stop responding, however with this imparticular guitar I can say it's flawless. The wood is well cut, the pickup selector isn't loose and isn't about to fall off, I found no scuffs or marks on the body so overall, it couldn't of been any better in this department.

I believe it was made in Korea in 2005, it has a mahogany body with 22 frets. It has a rather fat neck, but not as fat as some guitars. It has a classic sunburst finish, which is, when you think of a Les Paul what you expect to see. It has a single cutaway to get at the high frets, although it's not the most comfortable and hitting the highest notes is not as easy on say a Strat. It has a Tune-O-Matic Bridge which does a pretty good job of keeping the guitar in town, however I find that if I downtune the whole guitar it does struggle to keep in tune. It comes with 2 passive Alnico humbuckers which do a pretty good job. As with most Les Pauls, it comes with the 3 way selector Switch and 2 volume and 2 tone control knobs.

rockfreak611
    the people that claim epi's sound almost identical to gibsons are the same people that claim MGs sound just like real Marshall tube amps. Great deal for the price, but some people on here act like they're the greatest things out there. A/B them into a nice cranked tube amp and you'll here a world of a difference. Just saying...