Les Paul Classic review by Epiphone

Epiphone: Les Paul Classic

Price paid: A$ 900

Purchased from: Mega Music

I play anything from jazz to pop, blues and metal, so I need something with a fairly versatile sound, and despite the limited array of pickup/tone configurations, I find the tonal range of this guitar very usable. I normally play through a 100w Marshall valvestate amp, and the combination works very well for blues music, particularly one the neck pickup. I find the Bridge pickup is a little harsh, but is very good at cutitng through a mix. In terms of noise, they are very good. For the price of the guitar, it certainly sounds very good. That said, the reasonable cost of getting upgraded pickups means I would gladly invest in a Burstbucker or an Ol 57.

This guitar suits a range of music and playing styles, but it does take a bit of work to get the range of tones that it has on offer. It is also a very heavy beast, so a good, wide strap is a must. I've been playing for over 15 years and I have played a range of very nice guitars, including high end strats, Ibanez's and also some very high-end classical instruments and this guitar stands up well and will remain a stalwart of my line-up. I don't ever intend to sell it and if I were to lose it or it were stolen, I would definitely get it replaced (though I would be very sad, given the sentimental value I attach to it) Highly recommended guitar for anyone wanting a solid, reliable machine that can kick it with the big boys.

I gig with this guitar every couple of weeks, and while I look after my equipment, it has not let me down in a live situation. That said, The only problem I have had with reliability, has come from poorly earthed electrics. This, I have heard, is a common complaint among Epiphone guitars, and has otherwise dented a flawless record with this guitar. That said, it was an easy issue to fix and it has since held up perfectly. I do gig it without a backup and it hasn't let me down yet.

The guitar was set up pretty well from factory, I haven't had to do a lot to set it to my style of playing. I typically use 11 gauge strings so I need a slightly higher action than most lead guitarists use. Most players I know would lower the action a bit from what it came as. Aside from that, the colour and binding is well applied, the neck is well set up (although a satin finish on the neck would be more comfortable, acommon complaint among les pauls) and overall it is a very well put togther guitar.

I got mine in 2006, I assume it was built around the same time, made in China, with the usual Les Paul fruit on it. It's a dual humbucker version with uncovered pickups. It came with grover tuners as opposed to the Gibson ones on the Gibson version of the same guitar. Mine also came with a hard case, but it was a deal that came with the place it bought it. I'm pretty sure we all know what les pauls come with right?

MaggaraMarine
    rockfreak611 wrote: the people that claim epi's sound almost identical to gibsons are the same people that claim MGs sound just like real Marshall tube amps. Great deal for the price, but some people on here act like they're the greatest things out there. A/B them into a nice cranked tube amp and you'll here a world of a difference. Just saying...
    + 1 but that doesn't mean that Epiphone sucks. You don't just compare Gibson and Epiphone. They are in different price range. Every company has bad and good models and if you buy the cheapest Epi, Squier or something else you won't get anything special. The cheapest models always suck (if they cost less than like $ 150). But Epi and Squier have better models and so do every other guitar company. People just bash Epiphone, Squier and Marshall MG because they expect them to sound like Gibsons, Fenders and tube Marshalls. And they buy the cheapest models of them.